PDA

View Full Version : ZIG-ZAG ROOF

t1.shep
2009-12-07, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to create a low-slope roof that zig-zags between walls/structure. see attached image...
Pretty typical roof for commercial projects. We plan on sloping the structure. So basically this roof slopes 4 times and will have appropriate crickets as necessary.
I tried creating by selecting the structure, since those were pretty easy to create, but I didn't realize that it will only slope the roof at the specific location of the structure (so you'd need all structural elements modeled) and makes for some crazy ridge and valleys. Because of the in and out of the walls in plan, I'm not sure how to use slope arrows...will I need to create a bunch of reference planes to figure out what the tail and head height need to be?
Is this situation easy to accomplish, or am I making it harder than it needs to be?

cliff collins
2009-12-07, 08:50 PM
Reference Planes are the way to go. Place them in a Section View--and name each of them.

You can then place Strcutural Beam Systems ( instead of individual joists) with the sloping named Reference Plane as the workplane.
Then, if you need to change the slope later, change the angle of the Ref. Plane
and the structure will move with it.

cheers.......

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-07, 11:42 PM
Shape editing, draw split lines, select lines/points and give heights as necessary. Since its sloping structure AND tapering crickets, id make the main roof not variable thickness, so the shape editing slopes it as the structure does. Then have a roof that is variable thickness (tapered insulation) to form the crickets out of.

Since i would make it out of two roofs, i suppose you dont really need to use shape editing for the main part, but i would.

d.stairmand
2009-12-08, 02:16 AM
Shep
Try using a Floor for the Roof & then just edit the node points as necessary.
Easy as. A Floor is a bit more responsive to multiple weird slopes than a Roof. Just remember not to add a slope Arrow to the Floor - Do all the adjustments via the Node Points