PDA

View Full Version : Tag, Keynote, Legend?

barrie.sharp
2009-12-08, 01:51 PM
First brush with Tags, Legends, Notes etc.. I wanted to make a legend to identify party walls and party floors. I typed a reference in to comments on each object because it needs to be instance based and applied a visibility filter. Great! - It's coloured the objects according to comment.

I now want a notes box with description against a colour legend. After creating a legend, I found that I could not add instance parameters to filter the view. Do I have to create by type and use custom keynotes instead? Not sure how to tackle this one.

Scott Womack
2009-12-09, 11:52 AM
This is a thorny issue, with may in the Revit world passionate about the methods that work best for them and their content/firms. Essentially, it boils down to these two major methods. If you want to use legend views, then most things have to be type parameters for contoling the object in the legend view.
If you want/need instance parameters, then using two phases prior to your earliest "drawing" phase is the way to go. You draw the legend component in the first phase, and demo it in the second phase. Then the third is your earliest "existing" phase. This allows the use of groups and instance parameters, as well as full tagging in what ends up appearing as a legend view.

barrie.sharp
2009-12-09, 12:34 PM
Interesting solution. It would most likely solve my problems and would allow me to show floors too! The only downside I can see is that you would have to duplicate the view for each sheet you place it on but I guess sensible naming would cover that. I could assign the default view template to match the views and it will always be relevant. I guess you have to keep the legend geometry away from the model to avoid joins and clashes. My browser is already phase grouped so naming a legend phase will create it's own tree. :beer: Thanks