PDA

View Full Version : Shared Coordinates w/ Multiple Buildings

bregnier
2009-12-08, 06:43 PM
I am working on a campus project with multiple buildings, some of which are conjoined. Some of the buildings must show adjacent buildings in the drawings to set critical alignments. What i was hoping to do was to link all of the buildings into a site file, and then publish shared coordinates to each individual building, which would then set the building relationships. What I was hoping was that if I wanted to link two of the buildings outside of this system (to show adjacency), that these shared coordinates could be used to automatically locate the two buildings relative to one another. I can't get it to work.

What I've done is taken site file S and linked in buildings A,B,C, and D. I then published the shared coordinates from S to the buildings. What I'm trying to do now is link building B into the building A file, and then move the link based upon this previously set shared location. When I try to relocate the link based upon a shared location within that file, it doesn't move. Is my workflow correct?

**Update - it appears that one of my buildings has an incorrect "survey point" (shared coordinate location). Is there any easy way of changing this to the shared coordinate origin set by the site file?

bregnier
2009-12-08, 08:18 PM
Figured out what the problem is. Seems like somehow the local file default location had been reset for my computer, and the new locals I was creating were in a different location. I was linking the files through the local, but picking the location where the old locals were, which were not being updated as they weren't being opened.

The lesson here is that when linking through a local file, the changes to location must be saved back to the central before other locals can register the change. Good to know. Other than this problem the process outlined above seems to work fine. Shared cooridinates are definitely one thing that is vastly improved in 2010.