PDA

View Full Version : Nested component tag w/o parameter or dumb tags?

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-12-08, 07:54 PM
I have my Curtain wall assembly into my CW and the assembly is made up of several different glass types that I need to tag separately. I did not have the foresight to make the nested glass instance parameters so I think I need a tag that I can just just place on top and edit the text. I have way too many instance parameters of these 200 families to make new instance parameters at this point.

I tired to create a "dumb" tag. I tried it as a generic model tag. Inserted into my project and when I change the text I get the message "You are changing a type parameter which affects many elements" and it changed the type parameter in the family for the entire assembly which is obviously not what I want. The only other way I can see this is a group within the family and add text on top but this isn't very productive. Oh and I want to do it in elevation view in the model not in the sheet. I tired to create a "dumb" tag. Can you help or what would you suggest?

thanks

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-12-08, 08:09 PM
I also tried using the curtain wall panel family tag and although I can change the instance paraemters in the dialog box (just what I wanted to do) the value or "text" is not showing up in the tag. Ideas? should it be this difficult?

NKramer
2009-12-09, 01:31 AM
Are you trying to change text parameters (i.e. change a value not any geometry, materials, etc) or control/ read dimensions?

I found that while you can dimension a panel and control that with a parameter in the family it does not actually control anything in the project. Presumably this is because the panel is controlled by the grid. In reality I didn't want to adjust the width/ height of the panel with the parameter I wanted to use it for calculations related to free area, exiting width etc. But at this point they are somewhere in the inaccessible parameter void.

If you are trying to edit a parameter that doesnt really control anything then you could also add it in as a project parameter rather than into each family.

Nick

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-12-09, 02:03 AM
Are you trying to change text parameters (i.e. change a value not any geometry, materials, etc) or control/ read dimensions?

I found that while you can dimension a panel and control that with a parameter in the family it does not actually control anything in the project. <snip>

If you are trying to edit a parameter that doesnt really control anything then you could also add it in as a project parameter rather than into each family.

Nick

Simply all I am trying to do is show what type of glass is where in the family. Eg. if I have a curtainwall unit that is spanrel over three vision panels then I would like to apply 4 tags to the elevation that say SP1, GL1, GL2, GL3. Mind you these panels are nested all in one family.

I am not sure how to add it in as a project parameter, please explain, thanks so much!

NKramer
2009-12-09, 10:54 PM
Can you post a sample family and/ or project or at least screen shots. I understand what you are trying to do but not the exact issue of what is not working.

Nick

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-09, 11:33 PM
Do they have material parameters and/or different materials in the family? use a Material Tag.