PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Question

techsupport.161645
2009-12-08, 07:57 PM
Is their a way to create an equipment tag, so when it it placed, the tag itself would have shared parameters that can be modified to reflect the object it is tagging. I am trying to create a tag that has the following parameters that will appear in a schedule:

ITEM NO.
ITEM DESCRIPTION
DESIGN NO.
SIZE ( W x H x D )
REMARKS

When the tag is placed, the user can go into the tag properties and modify the parameters assiciated to the tag.

I have created the shared parameters, but I an at a lost on how they get associated to the tag. I was able to add a Label to the tag which is the ITEM NO. but as for the others I am not sure how to get those to appear as instance proerties.

Thank You

cmatthews
2009-12-08, 09:57 PM
Inside the attached Revit file is a couple of families. First is a Generic model object with shared instance parameters. Next is a Generic model tag which reads these parameters. A third family is called GENERIC MODEL TAG FOR OBJECT SIZE. See if these get you closer to your goal.

A note on shared parameters, never use a hyphen in the name since Revit will read it as a minus sign. Also group them together and use the group name in the parameter name.

Joshua Kohl
2009-12-09, 12:53 PM
I believe you cannot actually schedule tags; tags are pretty much just a visual aid when looking at hard copies. Will someone please confirm this?

If so you would need to have those shared parameters embedded within the pieces of equipment, then create a tag with those same parameters and finally tag the piece of equipment and the tag will "read" the parameters that are embedded within the equipment.

Creating a schedule will read the shared parameters that are in the actual piece of equipment.

If by chance your piece of equipment was drawn as a Detail Component then you cannot "schedule" it per say. In that case you would not have to embed the shared parameters within the equipment. You would only need them in the "tag" however in this case you would need to create a Symbol instead of a tag and use the Note Block option of the Scheduling function to schedule the Symbol.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters.

Josh

techsupport.161645
2009-12-09, 01:15 PM
Josh,

I think you are correct. I ended up creating the 5 shared parameters I needed. I did not relize that you could specify mutiple categories ( casework, plumbing fixtures, specialty equipment, etc.) these parameters applied too.

So when I went into the families instance properties, those parameters appeared and were editable and appeared in the schedule once taged.

I need to educate my users who are downloading or creating content to make sure they correct category is set for that particular familiy they have placed or created so the shared parameters appear.

Thank You