PDA

View Full Version : Generic Model Plan/Ceiling Visibility

kmarquis
2009-12-08, 10:55 PM
How do I create a family that is on the ceiling (but not ceiling hosted) to show up in only the ceiling plan and not the floor plan. It's currently showing up in both. It's a ceiling projector in this case and the only way I can figure out to make it not show up in plan is by turning it off.

Thanks.

Mike Sealander
2009-12-08, 11:15 PM
Check to see if there are model lines or detail lines that are a part of the family that pass below your floor plans Cut line. Some of the projectors from Revit City have lines like that, and Revit displays the object in plan because part of the object exists below the Cut plane.

ron.sanpedro
2009-12-08, 11:38 PM
How do I create a family that is on the ceiling (but not ceiling hosted) to show up in only the ceiling plan and not the floor plan. It's currently showing up in both. It's a ceiling projector in this case and the only way I can figure out to make it not show up in plan is by turning it off.

Thanks.

If it is a Generic Model, and any part of it crosses the Top plane of the Primary Range, then it will show up in plan (as will Windows and Casework). The crazy quick answer is to put a little Plan Region where the projector is and bring down the value of Top, assuming you can't just drop the value of Top for the whole view. Of course either way you have to do it in every view, and crazy quick isn't so quick any more.
That said, I make projectors as Electrical Equipment, which doesn't have the funky interaction with Top that Generic Model does, and makes sense in my head as the Electrical Engineer does the actual specification and detailing. I also make it Face hosted, so I can slap it on a ceiling, the bottom of a floor or roof, mount it to a structural beam, whatever. To get a Face Based Electrical Equipment family I start with Face Based Generic model and change the Category. Unfortunately you can't change a Ceiling hosted item to Face hosted, so there will be some rework required if you decide to go down that path.

Best,
Gordon

kmarquis
2009-12-09, 11:53 AM
Wow...This is very useful information. I would have been banging my head against the wall. Thank you so much!

Scott Womack
2009-12-09, 12:03 PM
The other method, is to go into the family, create new sub-catagories for the various lines, and components in the family, and then in a view template, applied to floor based plans, you can turn those sub-oject catagories off. This allows the ability to have them appear on a floor plan, if you wanted to, but in your sheet based plan views have them not appear.

barrie.sharp
2009-12-09, 12:39 PM
The other method, is to go into the family, create new sub-catagories for the various lines, and components in the family, and then in a view template, applied to floor based plans, you can turn those sub-oject catagories off. This allows the ability to have them appear on a floor plan, if you wanted to, but in your sheet based plan views have them not appear.
That's an elegent solution.