PDA

View Full Version : Helix ceiling under winder stair?

christo4robin
2004-11-22, 01:51 AM
Anybody have a good way to create this? I've got two winder stairs (arc segments) stacked, so I have a ceiling underneath the upper stair.

beegee
2004-11-22, 01:57 AM
Can you post an image please ?

Scott D Davis
2004-11-22, 02:15 AM
you are going to have to make your 'ceiling' part of a balluster family in the stair. It will be a profile, assigned as a 'rail' but it will be set at the bottom edge of the risers to form a ceiling. Make sense? Look for Phil Read's old posts here on stairs for examples.

beegee
2004-11-22, 03:23 AM
Wouldn't a monolithic stair be easier and do the job ?

christo4robin
2004-11-22, 05:12 AM
Thanks gents! Both systems make sense. I think I'll go with the railing family approach just because it will be more along the line of the way it would actually be built. Beegee, the monothic solution would work in plan and rcp, but I'd probably have to have two stairs in the same space - one monolithic to make the ceiling surface, and the other open stringer to create the stringer geometry.

Cheers!

beegee
2004-11-22, 06:32 AM
If the stair is going to be cut in section, I'd definitely go for the railing solution as it would be far too difficult to draft the profiles of the stair and helix ceiling in that case.

If the stair isn't cut in section and it's likely to change width , the monolithic solution may be better, otherwise you may have to redo the railing profile to suit.