PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Phasing Problem

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 03:10 PM
I am having issues with families that are on the existing phase rendering as if they are on the new phase. Everything that is existing is showing up correctly grayed out in the shaded with edges view. I am using the Show Previous plus new phase filter.

Is this because i am using the same family for existing and new items? For example i am using the same awning family for existing and new ones.

Thanks,

cporter.207875
2009-12-09, 03:26 PM
Did you check the material graphic override for existing elements?

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 03:27 PM
in the graphic overrides It is set for existing to be Phase-Exist material

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 03:31 PM
I created a duplicate family for the items on existing and this seemed to be a work. Maybe you just cant have families on two different phases?

patricks
2009-12-09, 03:47 PM
I created a duplicate family for the items on existing and this seemed to be a work. Maybe you just cant have families on two different phases?

Sure you can have multiple instances of families on different phases. If one instance shows up with the correct phase overrides and the other one doesn't, then there must be some difference between the Phase Created parameters of each family instance.

cporter.207875
2009-12-09, 04:31 PM
Here is a quick rendering I did to test the problem. Everything on the left side of the image is new. Everything on the right side is existing. You can see that some of the families accepted the material override. The window and sink are the only ones that did not. I have no idea what drives this discrepancy.

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 04:35 PM
Well it seems if the families are different from the get go for the different phases then there is no issue. I am not having this issue with system families such as walls.

patricks
2009-12-09, 05:11 PM
Do the sink and window have material parameters in the family, or are the materials just defined in the family itself? Do the cabinets and counter top have material parameters?

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 05:16 PM
I also want to add that if i do the "show previous phase" filter where it is only showing the existing phase and nothing new this issue goes away. Its only occuring where i have the two phases in the view.

Frustrating!

patricks
2009-12-09, 05:36 PM
Any chance you can post some of those families for us to review? Window, sink, counter top, cabinets (or whole vanity if it's one piece), etc.

cporter.207875
2009-12-09, 05:42 PM
Do the sink and window have material parameters in the family, or are the materials just defined in the family itself? Do the cabinets and counter top have material parameters?

They all have built-in material parameters. The window is the only one that defines the value for those parameters within the family. The rest are defined as <By Category>. Perhaps if we set the window's material parameters to <By Category> it would solve the problem. Hmm... will have to test.

patricks
2009-12-09, 05:54 PM
I started a new project and created a new and existing wall, with a new and existing window, side by side.

When I first rendered, it all showed up with materials defined (as if Show Complete were used for the view). I checked my Phase material overrides, and nothing was set for Existing. So I set Existing elements to be overridden with the Phase-Existing material.

Then I rendered again, and this time both windows appeared solid gray. Then I noticed I had the existing window in the wall backwards. And for whatever reason, when I flipped that existing window, the view rendered correctly. New showed up with rendered materials, and existing showed up all gray. Both windows are the exact same family and type.

cporter.207875
2009-12-09, 06:01 PM
I started a new project and created a new and existing wall, with a new and existing window, side by side.

When I first rendered, it all showed up with materials defined (as if Show Complete were used for the view). I checked my Phase material overrides, and nothing was set for Existing. So I set Existing elements to be overridden with the Phase-Existing material.

Then I rendered again, and this time both windows appeared solid gray. Then I noticed I had the existing window in the wall backwards. And for whatever reason, when I flipped that existing window, the view rendered correctly. New showed up with rendered materials, and existing showed up all gray. Both windows are the exact same family and type.

I get similar results except flipping the plane of the window didn't help.

In my test the left window is new and the right window is existing. In the first attached image, the trim shows up gray. The phase filter for the view was set to Show Previous + New. Then I changed the phase filter to Show Complete and both windows rendered as expected. For this example I tried setting the material values in the family editor to be <by Category>. Apparently no change. I attached the OOTB window family for your review.

patricks
2009-12-09, 06:25 PM
I get similar results except flipping the plane of the window didn't help.

In my test the left window is new and the right window is existing. In the first attached image, the trim shows up gray. The phase filter for the view was set to Show Previous + New. Then I changed the phase filter to Show Complete and both windows rendered as expected. For this example I tried setting the material values in the family editor to be <by Category>. Apparently no change. I attached the OOTB window family for your review.

What does your phase material override look like? Mange > Phases > Graphic Overrides, the right-most column for Existing phase element.

cporter.207875
2009-12-09, 06:56 PM
Set to a material called "Phase - Exist." The material definition is set to Default. Regardless, the override for existing elements shouldn't affect new elements at all.

silas.seger176224
2009-12-09, 08:08 PM
after looking into this even further...

it looks like its an issue, at least for me, with items that were originally on the new phase that i manually changed in the element properties to be on the existing phase. The items created in a view with existing as the current phase i am not having an issue. I also checked 2009 and did not have this problem with rendering items that I switched phases....