PDA

View Full Version : Open Dialog Box - Freeze

tonyisenhoff
2009-12-10, 08:34 PM
Anyone have a solution for this: Click "Open" to open a project - Revit freezes. The dialog box never shows... You have to end the process.

Things I've tried:

We can create a "new" project just fine.
Reinstalled Revit - same problem
No custom shortcuts added to the left sidebar in the open dialog box
Thoughts?

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-10, 09:00 PM
Does that user have access to the Network directory that Open is trying to go to? Ive seen the Open dialogue freeze for a VERY long time (twenty minutes) when a network server was unresponsive or unavailable.

nsinha73
2009-12-10, 09:10 PM
If you open a File through the Revit Dialog box, and your files are displayed as "Thumbnails" Revit will Freeze. Well that was my issue here. But try to view your files by "List" See if it crashes again.

tonyisenhoff
2009-12-10, 09:25 PM
Does that user have access to the Network directory that Open is trying to go to? Ive seen the Open dialogue freeze for a VERY long time (twenty minutes) when a network server was unresponsive or unavailable.

Our default is: C:\Revit local... so it's pointig to a local folder. I did remove all the existing local files and backup folders. Will have the user try again.

tonyisenhoff
2009-12-10, 09:26 PM
If you open a File through the Revit Dialog box, and your files are displayed as "Thumbnails" Revit will Freeze. Well that was my issue here. But try to view your files by "List" See if it crashes again.

We're not even getting the dialog to open to check. As soon as you click "open", Revit locks up. Is that what you had happening?

nsinha73
2009-12-10, 09:32 PM
Yes. Exactly. As soon as you hit Open....Revit Freezes.
1. Go into your Windows Explorer
2. Open a Folder and Change its Views to "List" instead of Thumbnails
3. Then Go into Tool ..... Folder Options and Select "Apply to All Folders"

That should Fix it.

Hopefully fix it, if you situation is same as mine!

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-10, 09:39 PM
If thats the issue, what OS are you guys using? Thumbnails dont always work on the Vista Boxes here, but we can still have it set to thumbnails with no incident.

Thumbnails work fine on the XP32 boxes...

tonyisenhoff
2009-12-11, 08:58 PM
Yes. Exactly. As soon as you hit Open....Revit Freezes.
1. Go into your Windows Explorer
2. Open a Folder and Change its Views to "List" instead of Thumbnails
3. Then Go into Tool ..... Folder Options and Select "Apply to All Folders"

That should Fix it.

Hopefully fix it, if you situation is same as mine!

Didn't fix it...

Autodesk Support sent me a potential solution that I have yet to try due to the user being on vacation. I'll let you know my results and will share the solution if it works.

FYI - XP Professional

tonyisenhoff
2010-01-06, 08:54 PM
The fix involved copying a couple folders & files from a working login on that PC to the non-working login and overwriting what was there. I also did the same with a few registry keys. That fixed it. If anyone is interested in the specifics, just let me know.

Graeme Padgham
2010-01-07, 01:52 PM
Hi,
We had the same problem on 3 of our XP machines, any form of browsing dialog box caused a crash.
We solved it by removing all the 'profile' directorys in the users login so Revit rebuilt them on the next restart, this appeared to work fine. (think we may have removed some registry settings but cant remmeber!)
not sure what got corrupted in the first place though.