PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Dialogue Holds Revit

NKramer
2009-12-10, 10:48 PM
I have run into this before but was never able to track down a cause, this time I think I have one.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround or just plain don't do it....

Revit is returning a phantom dialogue box that holds the program. I cannot cancel or accept with enter or escape. The only thing left to do is a hard kill out of task manager (you cant even right click on the windows explorer bar, just another bonk)

This is the process that I have been able to reproduce 3 times. It took that long to figure out what the exact issue was.

Problem Procedure:
-Open a project > edit a door family
-in the family project browser > change the name of two family types (not the families) > load the family back into the project
-a dialogue box appears to be missing

Anything I try to do in Revit responds with the windows bonk; as in there is a dialogue box that needs to be answered before I can do anything else. I have tried the Alt+Space > M > arrow trick to move the apparent box back onto the screen with no luck. This does not appear to do anything despite holding the arrow keys down for a while. I have also tried shoving everything back onto one screen (uncheck the extend my desktop box in the Display Properties, Settings Tab). This does not even force Revit onto the only remaining display screen. It stays out on the other screen unless I go over and pull it back

The door family is using a family type parameter to control the nested doors who's . Could this be the issue?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-10, 11:34 PM
Ive seen it do a strange thing like that now and again... And i have an issue with RAC2010SAP on my machine where if i open a family that has a broken constraint (so the remove constraints dialogue comes up WHILE opening the family) my project browser "forgets" to go to the family, and then youre stuck.

But, ive also confirmed that the issue is isolated to only my computer...

NKramer
2009-12-10, 11:39 PM
I think I found the main culprit. If I change the name of a family type that is not used in the project then it loads just fine. If the type is used in the project then it hangs and I'm stuck.

It looks like its just one of those don't do it and you'll be fine features...

On a weird side note the project browser still works if it is pulled out of the Revit window. Sometimes to the point of being able to open and switch views in the Revit window, but you still cant do anything.

Good suggestion on checking to see if it occurs on other people's computers as well.

Nick

Scott Womack
2009-12-11, 11:30 AM
Is it a dialog box relating to printing? I have that appear to happen, but moving my mouse around in the mifddle of the screen will eventually cause a button to appear, that I can select.

This is a graphics card issue, and occurs after I've been working for a long time, and then print. The dialog box telling me that the last used settings cannot be used with the default printer is the prime culprit here.

NKramer
2009-12-11, 04:03 PM
I believe it is either an error dialogue saying that I cant load or a do you want to load this family dialogue.

I don't know for sure as Ive never been able to find it. I have tried working on other things for a half an hour or so and Revit never seems to wake up. I have also tried to find the dialogue to no avail (alt+space>m>arrow keys, moving the mouse, alt+tab, ctrl+tab and right click the tab in the task bar).

I have filed a support request with Autodesk so we'll see where that goes...

Nick

patricks
2009-12-11, 05:09 PM
Not sure if this is similar, but I'm having an issue right now where most all dialog boxes seem to appear "under" the drawing window, and I have to click somewhere in the drawing to make the dialog box appear. When it does appear, the title bar of the dialog box blinks several times in an annoyed fashion.

It's happening on just about every dialog box from printing, to element properties, to sketch properties, type properties, etc.

NKramer
2009-12-11, 09:41 PM
So the answer is to dock the project browser and then the load works...

Just another feature of 2010 I guess.

Nick