PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Floor Pattern Legend

frustratedtonoend
2009-12-14, 11:49 PM
I have a project with several different floor types (12" tile, 18"X18" stone tile, etc.) and have used model patterns on the floor surfaces to represent the tile patterns. I need to create a legend so the contractor can easily identify each flooring material.

I tried placing filled regions in a legend, but Revit will only let you use drafting patterns for filled regions, not model patterns. I tried dragging the floors onto the legend from the project browser and changing the view, but Revit will not allow plan views of floors in legends, only section views. I even tried to cheat and put the tile pattern on a wall surface to see if I can get an elevation view of the wall in the legend. No such luck.

There has to be a simple way to do this that I just can't figure out. After all, floor pattern plans with legends are a very common in architectural documentation. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or explain how a surface material legend can be made with model patterns?

Thank you in advance.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-15, 12:05 AM
Do a search here for "Previous Phase Legends." Its what a lot of us do, for ALL KINDS of legends. Its pretty straight forward, and has next to no limitations. :)

patricks
2009-12-15, 01:37 PM
Unless you need it on more than one sheet, just do it as a drafting view. Then you can do model pattern filled regions with the same hatch patterns as your flooring.

patricks
2009-12-15, 01:38 PM
has next to no limitations. :)

except that each view can only go on a single sheet. ;)

sbrown
2009-12-15, 01:53 PM
I like to utilize a "material Sample" Family. To organize all the materials i plan to use on a project. Its just a generic model family that you assign materials to and tag. This lets you organize all your finishes graphically. I place these either in a storage room in the project. Or in a previous phase.

patricks
2009-12-15, 01:57 PM
I like to utilize a "material Sample" Family. To organize all the materials i plan to use on a project. Its just a generic model family that you assign materials to and tag. This lets you organize all your finishes graphically. I place these either in a storage room in the project. Or in a previous phase.

Hmm very interesting approach. It's like a little material swatch. So you create different types of that family with your different materials, and then will it play nice with a normal Legend view?

sbrown
2009-12-15, 02:00 PM
I haven't tried using a legend view with it. I just create floor plan views of it. The material parameter is currently instance based so I don't think it would work in a legend view. But you only really need one material legend. I guess if you want it on each sheet you would have to figure something else out.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-15, 02:05 PM
except that each view can only go on a single sheet. ;)

Not an issue with dependant views. Our project template has three different partition schedules set up, all on different sheets... All the same view. ;)

patricks
2009-12-15, 02:10 PM
ah I see, so it's really the same, but it's different LOL

frustratedtonoend
2009-12-15, 03:21 PM
Do a search here for "Previous Phase Legends." Its what a lot of us do, for ALL KINDS of legends. Its pretty straight forward, and has next to no limitations. :)

I serched for:

previous phase legends
"previous phase legends"

and could not find threads explainging what they are how to make them. If they've been discussed to death, could they be so old as have been removed by moderators? Is there another place I can look. Or perhaps you could post a link?

thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-15, 03:41 PM
Interesting... I apologize for the direction, then. i searched for it too, and the thread i was thinking of did not come up. Perhaps different search terms are in order... Because i cant find it either.

The short version goes like this:

In our Revit files, our Phases are set up as follows.

Annot1
Annot2
AnnotDemo
Existing
Phase 1
Phase 2

Annot1 And Annot2 are used when we need to draw "Legends," or "Typical elevations," Or to show details of repeated model groups, or Drawing Legends, and so on and so forth. This way, we just use regular plans, elevations, sections, and RCP's. Even our partition types are done this way. They are a Floor plan callout that happens in Phase Annot2. (We keep two phases for it, since some legends need to show things as existing. The view would be set to annot 2, the items created during annot 1.) Then you can use real dimensions, tags, etc, and arent bound by anything. For views that need to occur on more than one sheet, we use dependent views of the callouts, so we dont have to manage changes.

A good naming convention for views keeps things organized in the project browser.

We place These views tightly around the Revit origin. It doesnt matter, since it will never conflict with the project at all. EVERYTHING from those two phases is demolished in AnnotDemo (if its not demolished already as part of the legend).

So it never affects your project, since your project never happens before "Existing" Phase. It sounds much more complicated than it really is. Current things we use it for:

Partition Type schedule
Door Type
Frame Type
Window Type
Graphical Legends on Drawings
Storefront Elevations (Model Grouped)