PDA

View Full Version : Creating object to define window space

xzavoral
2009-12-15, 03:45 PM
Im creating window in old castle type building, (reconstruction).

But to add around window inside with vault above window. I have created this object but nit having luck to add it into one piece.

Is there any fater way for this or windows just have space only calibrated to their size?

Attachement 1 is object i created
Att 2 is scan from blueprint

sbrown
2009-12-15, 04:25 PM
You need to create a window family and delete the opening and replace it with a void or multiple voids that cut the shape you want to remove from the wall.

patricks
2009-12-15, 06:32 PM
Also in the window family, change the host wall thickness to match (or closely match) the wall thicknesses you'll be working with, before you get started on the actual window family. The default 6" or 150mm or whatever wall thickness just won't cut it when you're trying to make something for a massive stone wall.

xzavoral
2009-12-16, 02:49 AM
You need to create a window family and delete the opening and replace it with a void or multiple voids that cut the shape you want to remove from the wall.

Can you please describe it with commands/ panels ?

I should copy some family and change it in editor or its just some advanced propertie of inserting window.
How to create Void with window ? (command)

Im new for revit so please examples or commands are appreciated :)))

New thing 1:
I need to create a ceiling vaulted. But only ceilings i found are linear shape. Where i can edit them / add my own shape ?

New thing 2:
I also came to that some walls have not rectangular shape, i used command to edit them "Edit Cut Profile" but it seems to edit them only in Floor plan but not in 3D models ... ?

xzavoral
2009-12-21, 11:33 AM
Hi,
when i delete void in window family, I create new one but it didnt cut the wall in 3D and it has yellow color ... whats the mistake I did ?

Andre Carvalho
2009-12-21, 01:23 PM
You need to select the option Cut Geometry, select the void and then select the wall. This will make the void cut the opening in the wall.

Andre Carvalho

xzavoral
2009-12-21, 03:49 PM
So now i got parametric opening but all windows I found makes they thicknes about 1000mm because wall is that strong, but i need inly in 1/2 (500 mm).

How can I do this ?

Andre Carvalho
2009-12-21, 06:21 PM
So now i got parametric opening but all windows I found makes they thicknes about 1000mm because wall is that strong, but i need inly in 1/2 (500 mm).

How can I do this ?

Can you clarify your question, please?

Andre Carvalho

xzavoral
2009-12-22, 07:54 AM
I have window family. Deleted the opening and created Voids like I posted in 1st post (Picture).

But when I insert window in Family Editor to create whole block (hole+window) in wall 1000mm thick, the window uses the 1000mm thickness of wall instead of 500 (look at picture in first post how the 2-glass window should be placed.

So the window uses 1000mm thickness and I cant get it to use the 500mm (half of wall size).

Sry for my bad English It's not my native language ... :(
Hope you understanded me :)

thx for help

Andre Carvalho
2009-12-22, 02:30 PM
Most windows families will have a frame which is connected to reference planes called exterior and interior (for exterior and interior faces of the wall). It's like that to allow the frame to stretch and change its depth as the wall thickness change.

All that said, what's probably happening to you is that your window family is looking for the wall thickness and if you don't want that behavior, then you have to edit your window family, and unlock the frame extrusion (or sweep) from that reference plane. Then you can add a parameter to manually control the frame depth if you want.

Andre Carvalho