PDA

View Full Version : cut plane issue

pshupe.159931
2009-12-16, 06:43 PM
I have a parapet on top of my Penthouse Floor - most of the roof has this parapet and a small penthouse area has walls that extend a few metres. My parapet wall extends 590mm above the Parapet level and has a stone precast cap on top. I have a couple of different parapet walls for instance above brick, and a different wall behind a curtain wall section.

I can't seem to get my wall to show up as being cut so that I can make sure the 2 walls connect correctly. I have my cut plane set to 300mm, which should be fine to see the wall but it just shows the inside and outside lines only. If I make the wall 3000 tall if then shows up properly. Also the preview under the element properties shows as a shaded wall only. Please advise.

Regards Peter.

Munkholm
2009-12-16, 07:12 PM
Walls below 6´- 0" in height won´t show as cut, despite of the cut plane being below 6´ - 0"
Just one of those things we all love about Revit, and the documentation :confused:

pshupe.159931
2009-12-16, 08:22 PM
So it's a bug then?? There is no reason for it to do so? Thanks for the info. That seems a little crazy.

Cheers Peter.

ws
2009-12-16, 08:35 PM
Never knew that, thanks

So that's why I have to use a Plan Region and fiddle about with the View Range to make the cut lines appear in low walls
(make Primary Range, Bottom: Level Below
and View Depth, Level: Level Below).

stuntmonkee
2009-12-16, 11:42 PM
Walls below 6´- 0" in height won´t show as cut, despite of the cut plane being below 6´ - 0"
Just one of those things we all love about Revit, and the documentation :confused:

I call hogwash!

Then I tried it. . . .lol

Can't belive I had never noticed this.

Munkholm
2009-12-17, 07:36 AM
I call hogwash!

Then I tried it. . . .lol

Can't belive I had never noticed this.

LOL

Well, I learned something new today also ! Had to lookup "Hogwash", and found that it´s slang for nonsense :-) Never heard that term before... :beer:

pshupe.159931
2009-12-17, 06:53 PM
How about "poppycock"!

pshupe.159931
2009-12-18, 08:20 PM
As William noted, it will work if you change the "bottom" - to Level Below, everything else can stay the same - cut plane can still stay at associated level with a short ,eg 300mm, offset. It seems it doesn't like to be within 6' or 1999mm of the "bottom" for some reason. Thanks for the tips.

Regards Peter.

Steve_Stafford
2009-12-18, 11:08 PM
Walls that are shorter than 6' do not show as "cut"...however...you can assign the wall to the level above and use a negative offset to drop it down to the "correct" height. Now it will show as cut.

Munkholm
2009-12-18, 11:10 PM
How about "poppycock"!

Am gonna end my days as a wikiholic if you guys keep throwing this nonsense at me :D

And beware ! at AU2010 i´m gonna be talking all hogwash and poppycock :beer:

petebalf
2009-12-19, 01:03 AM
Walls that are shorter than 6' do not show as "cut"...however...you can assign the wall to the level above and use a negative offset to drop it down to the "correct" height. Now it will show as cut.

A good workaround, Steve, by the look of it.
But the question remains, why?
To use that workaround could create possible areas of project confusion over time or between operators just because we have to navigate around a enforced graphical display that for the moment, I have not worked out a reason for it's being. But I often end up a week later thinking, yep, I was a NONG, that's why!! (look THAT one up, Munkholm) ..So, I wonder, what is the RevitGod reason for this? (If it is just to show dwarf walls, then that is a pretty lightweight reasoning.)

peter

Steve_Stafford
2009-12-19, 02:21 AM
Well it is intentional, as in they designed it to work this way on purpose. The reason as I understand it was to make it easier to show short walls differently in plan than full or "normal" height walls without additional effort. The height at which a wall becomes full height varies depending upon who you ask...and which project you are working on.

So the "workaround" to show a low wall as "cut" provides a way to do something they believed was "correct" already. Altering the top constraint and offset isn't really bad, the wall is still the correct height. It only becomes an issue if the level rises or falls frequently. Floor to floor relationships do change but not usually constantly for as long as you work on the project.

For what it is worth a common request is for openings in ceilings above to automatically show up as dashed lines in floor plans. Very early releases of Revit had this feature...the more architects that saw it...the more they asked for it to be removed and gone it has been since.

I find the longer I use and support this software the more things seem to go around and around. I can only imagine what it has been like for the design team. :smile:

petebalf
2009-12-19, 09:30 AM
ok, I see the reasoning, it is for short walls. Excuse my politically incorrect of naming these walls. I'm thinking kitchen dividing walls from the eating/dining area here.
But maybe it might be good to have this hard coded value simply at hand somewhere as an adjustable value if required for that project.
Just a thought.
peter

pshupe.159931
2009-12-23, 03:49 PM
I still don't get it. It seems a silly way to handicap the view properties just to address short walls. 2000 isn't that short either, I could see if it were around 1200 or 1500, as that is normally where walls are cut for floor plans anyway, right??

Also if there are short walls just change the properties of that wall, have it show up as 2 lines to make it obvious in plan. There are usually notes added or some sort of shading or linetype associated with low walls anyway.

It just seems crazy to have no cuts shown below 2000.

Cheers Peter.

stuntmonkee
2009-12-31, 04:57 PM
You can also set the top of the wall to the same level as your base, and then use a positive number for your top offset. That way it reads more as the actuall height of the wall. A little less confusing.

I felt like a nincompoop for not knowing this a long time ago.