PDA

View Full Version : Suppress Part Tag Information

jason.combs
2009-12-16, 08:55 PM
All,

How do I suppress part of the text within a tag?

I would like a tag to read W14, rather than W14X22 that is calling the parameter Family Type.

Regards,

azmz3
2009-12-16, 09:28 PM
You could either modify the OOTB tag to only show the W14, and add a parameter in the family with that as the parameter that the tag reads from, or make a new tag that does the same thing, then when you tag the item, choose the tag you made instead of the standard one from Revit.

jason.combs
2009-12-23, 12:26 AM
I agree with your logic. However, the challenge is that tag is reading the Family Type that lists the entire member size (ie W12X14).

I am thinking there needs to be a shared parameter that reads that but strips the text from the X on.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-23, 12:36 AM
You can make a tag that reads a Shared Parameter, but then you have to make sure you diligently enter in that SP value accordingly. You cant get a Text parameter to read a Family Type parameter, so you have no good avenue sans external programming, to get a SP to read a partial Family Name like that. You can either:

1. Rename the Family Types (W12). Obvious this presents a problem the moment you have different weight beams in the project.

2. Use a different parameter, and enter the values manually.

3. Find someone who can write an external program that can query Family Types, list them somewhere where you can truncate after a specific chanracter (excel perhaps) and then dump that info back to a SP for tagging.

4. Tag it as is. :)

bregnier
2009-12-23, 01:11 AM
Actually, there is another solution, although I'm not sure you want to go down this road. Make a new shared integer parameter in the beam family that is set to equal the height of the beam (divide by 1' to make the units come out right). Then have the tag read that parameter and add a "W" prefix.

This all falls apart, of course, if you're tagging more than just wide flanges in a project. If you want to have the prefix change you'd either have to add another shared parameter (which would have to be manually coordinated), or have multiple tag types (which would have to be manually coordinated).

All in all I agree with TRF that you're better off with the text just reading the beam weight.

If the problem is that you're in schematic design and don't know the number yet, make some schematic beam types without the weight in the tag name - just remember to switch them out when you need to. I made a series of schematic structural objects that are simple rectangles outlining the probable necessary clear dimensions. This way it's clear that they should be switched over later in the project.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-23, 01:30 AM
That would also assume that each beam in the *office library* uses the same parameter for Height. Actually, i guess if it didnt they would all tag as Null Value, which may even be better.

But all in all i agree. We have "Generic Structure Elements" that we use when we dont know what the sizes are. Theyre usually represented as a large guess for Space Prtection, and dont have actual sizes listed.

The OP could even make one by opening a WF Column/Beam, and just doing a Save As, and taking the x22 out of the FT name.

Though IMHO, do something graphically VISIBLE to differentiate that it is GENERIC, so it gets picked up later.

bregnier
2009-12-23, 04:15 PM
Easiest way to make a generic beam family is to start with the concrete beams and switch the type to steel (makes clean ups easier to handle). Also change the material to something generic, and modify the type names and sizes to match your needs.