PDA

View Full Version : Using Excel to create + control Revit Arch geometry?

nmiller.220753
2009-12-16, 11:42 PM
Hello,
I am interested in knowing if anyone has used "raw" Excel spreadsheet data as the basis for creating and controlling geometry in Revit.

Below are a few scenarios I would be interested in testing out...

1. Use XYZ point coordinates as a means to build/rebuild complex surfaces, volumes, and structures in Revit.
2. Use the results of a structural analysis (member sizes) to control the size of a swept section
2. Using the results of environmental analysis data to control panel parameters.

I have seen the Excel-based Model Generator extension... has anyone used this?

Are there any other strategies for accessing excel data...say... through the API?

If someone can point me in the right direction on this subject, I would be most grateful...

Scott Womack
2009-12-17, 11:17 AM
1. Use XYZ point coordinates as a means to build/rebuild complex surfaces, volumes, and structures in Revit.

That is what the excel extension is for, I believe.

2. Use the results of a structural analysis (member sizes) to control the size of a swept section

Proably an API issue. Look in the API forum. You'll get better answers.

2. Using the results of environmental analysis data to control panel parameters.

Definitely only possible through the API. if at all. I do not know if the Revit MEP electrical schedules are open to the API.

I have seen the Excel-based Model Generator extension... has anyone used this?

No I have not. It was originally released for the Structural version of Revit. You might try in that forum.