PDA

View Full Version : BIND a family component?

..shaner
2009-12-18, 03:07 PM
is this possible? For instance. I have a skylight that is nicely modeled in the family. but it doesn't quite work once inserted. I wish to manipulate this object but i haven't been able to do what i need to do within the family editor.. So i was wondering if there is a way to get this into my model as an 'inplace' component?

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-18, 04:03 PM
Not really. You can try copying and pasting the geometry, but youll lose some associativity to the reference planes, etc.

What is it you cant get it to do in the family editor?

..shaner
2009-12-18, 06:11 PM
i have a skylight that sits on a flat roof with various slopes in different areas.. i want to drag the curb down to the top of deck depending on different situations. im sure there is a way to do this within the family.. but the easiest thing would be if i could accomplish this in each individual situation.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-18, 06:59 PM
So all you need is for the durb depth to be constrained to a Reference plane that has a Parameter from the Roof face.... And that parameter needs to be an Instance Parameter.

No need to model it in place.

Something else to think about: Under Fam. Catagories and settings: Is always Vertical checked? It may be aligning to the Face of the roof, or it may be aligning to the work plane, depending on that setting. The relationship to the metal deck may vary depending on that setting, youre roof composition, and whether or not the structure is sloping or you have tapering insulation, or the like.