PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling tags on slab - no ceiling??

pshupe.159931
2009-12-22, 02:29 PM
I want to add a ceiling tag to my RCPs that shows that there is no ceiling just unfinished structure. What would be the best way to do that? Obviously I can't use a ceiling tag, as there is no ceiling. Should I just make an annotation "block" for that? If so, how would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards Peter.

cliff collins
2009-12-22, 02:47 PM
Perhaps use a Floor Tag, which tags the underside of the slab and contains a label
which says "No finished ceiling -exposed slab above"?

or something like that.......

cheers.........

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-22, 02:54 PM
A piece of text that says "Unfinished Structure?"

:)

patricks
2009-12-22, 02:59 PM
Use the Generic Ceiling, which has no thickness. Set the height to align with some other datum if it will be seen in a section view, otherwise a single line will be visible in section. Then you can create a ceiling tag that says No Ceiling or Exposed Structure, etc. to tag that Generic Ceiling.

pshupe.159931
2009-12-22, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just use text for now and give it some thought later. Thanks again.

Cheers Peter.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-22, 03:43 PM
Use the Generic Ceiling, which has no thickness. Set the height to align with some other datum if it will be seen in a section view, otherwise a single line will be visible in section. Then you can create a ceiling tag that says No Ceiling or Exposed Structure, etc. to tag that Generic Ceiling.

Im not knocking the idea, but remember a few things if you go that route:

1. Youll have to filter them out, or hide them in RCP's, unless you carefully get them above any structure / MEPF stuff that you want to see as exposed.

2. Same for schedules, if youre doing any schedules.

3. Itll then let people drop Ceiling Hosted objects in to the ceiling. I tend to like NOT having a ceiling there, as it stops people in their tracks when they try to host a recessed can light there, LOL.

At the end of the day, its a little like trying to automate something for the sake of automating something. Now were modeling something that isnt there, to get an automatic piece of text that says *no ceiling* when we can just type *no ceiling* in a piece of text (Or... as mentioned, make an annotation family). Lets pick our battles. :)

pshupe.159931
2009-12-22, 07:27 PM
I'm just using text for now. It seems like the best solution at this point in the project. I don't imagine I will be using that info in any schedules, so it should be fine. Thanks again for all the tips.

Regards Peter.

david.kingham
2009-12-22, 11:08 PM
We use a ceiling called open to above, we use a filter in the rcp's to make these ceilings transparent and have them filtered out in schedules. We went to this not so much for the tag but for ceiling hosted elements, I got sick of duplicating content for hosted/non-hosted. I highly recomended it for this alone.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-22, 11:21 PM
Thats exactly why i love not having them, LOL...