PDA

View Full Version : Family in a Family -> Parameters ? ?

dante_van_wettum
2009-12-23, 07:40 AM
here is the deal i have some problems with.

example:

i have a family, lets say structural foundation. this is just a cube like a dice.
the paramaters i set are height, length, and with.
parameters are set as:
- Family parameter
- discipline - common
- type - Length
- group - Dimentions
- instance

lets call this family Dice_01.rfa

now, when i load it into a project i can use the instance properties to make the cube every dimention i would like and, i can have multiple of them with seperate values.

but now i load the Dice_01.rfa into a other family
if i'm not mistaking its called nested family in the correct termes.
within this family i can still ajust the Dice_01.rfa

within this new family file i add some more stuff, (doesnt matter for this example what it is)
this new family (wich thus has a family within the family) i save to a file called Dice_02.rfa

now, i go load the Dice_02.rfa into a project
but what happens now is, i cant use the instance parameters from the nested family, Dice_01.

i already tryed suff like: make them "shared" within the "catefory and parameters" setting. but this aslo does not seem to help.

- I guess it can be done with shared parameters, is this idea true ?
- is it possible to be done without shared parameters ?
- does anyone have some more ideas or solutions for this to work ?

Dante

cdatechguy
2009-12-23, 03:54 PM
You need to link parameters in Dice_02 to those in Dice_01.....

When you click on Dice_01 while nested in Dice_02 go to its properties....next to the value column is an = and a little box, click on that box and it gives you the parameters already defined within dice_02.

Now....I believe the parameters in Dice_01 cannot be instance parameters, they must be type....but you can have them be instance parameters in Dice_02... (Could be wrong on this....Revit will yell at you anyway if you link the wrong types)