PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Text Wrapping Issue?

Richard at AA
2009-12-24, 06:06 PM
I was wondering if this is still a problem in Revit 2010 (we are using 2009 to wrap up our last projects before migrating). The problem is using a large block of text (for example, a general notes sheet). Depending on your level of zoom, the text wrapping changes and therefore, the block itself will expand in width and length from simply double-clicking it to edit. This is also apparent when using small blocks of text - if you are zoomed in to a small text box and double-click to edit, the text will suddenly wrap to 2 lines - even when the ONLY text is "1." the period will wrap to a second line.

This is ridiculous and I am hoping it was resolved in 2010? Or perhaps there is a global setting that I can use to turn off word-wrap altogether and just use a carriage return for formatting?

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-24, 08:48 PM
I was wondering if this is still a problem in Revit 2010 (we are using 2009 to wrap up our last projects before migrating). The problem is using a large block of text (for example, a general notes sheet). Depending on your level of zoom, the text wrapping changes and therefore, the block itself will expand in width and length from simply double-clicking it to edit. This is also apparent when using small blocks of text - if you are zoomed in to a small text box and double-click to edit, the text will suddenly wrap to 2 lines - even when the ONLY text is "1." the period will wrap to a second line.

This is ridiculous and I am hoping it was resolved in 2010? Or perhaps there is a global setting that I can use to turn off word-wrap altogether and just use a carriage return for formatting?

It hasnt been resolved in 2010. Its even worse if (like us) you set your font to a width other than 1.00. We use 0.85, and when you click to enter it has to switch back to 1.0 and it mangles everything. Only trick i know of is know the *sweet spot* for zooming that doesnt mess it all up.

The only way to make it require a Hard Return is to make the text box really wide.

CADMama
2009-12-29, 10:12 PM
This is why I like to use a schedule for paragraph notes.
I can number them easily enough if I need to. The wrapping is up to the size of the "schedule" as I need it to be.
Showed this in my 2008 AU class.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-29, 10:21 PM
Yup, we do the same. Key schedules for useless catagories. :)

Richard at AA
2009-12-29, 11:13 PM
Its even worse if (like us) you set your font to a width other than 1.00. We use 0.85, and when you click to enter it has to switch back to 1.0 and it mangles everything.

Wow, I am glad that wasn't in our CAD standard.

I might have to work with the API to generate the text or create a key schedule similar to the notes on our sheet. We did not use a key schedule to start because we could not control bold and italics individually...nor font.

Thanks for the heads up.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-29, 11:42 PM
I really like the narrower font, it makes it easier to get a lot of notes and stuff in place. The Revit text thing is what it is for now... But since starting with the key schedule thing, ill never go back. Its fantastic for notes, hehe.

greg.mcdowell
2010-01-04, 04:31 PM
Your typical graphic designer might suggest using a font that's designed to be narrow rather than take a standard font and squishing it... the gd's I know get real testy about this sort of thing.