PDA

View Full Version : edit family button - not working

s.messing
2009-12-29, 04:21 PM
Clicked on a family in a project.
Clicked "edit family" button.
Nothing happened.
Right clicked on the family and selected "edit family" and nothing happened. Looked at the journal file and saw this:

-API application event DialogBoxShowing returned status DidNotRaise

It's happened before and I have just gone to the family in windows and opened it and loaded it into the project that way.
Any ideas?

sbrown
2009-12-29, 07:37 PM
If the family was created many years ago this feature wasn't available. so you have to have the original family and open it(which upgrades it) then that feature will work in the future.

s.messing
2009-12-29, 09:51 PM
Thanks Scott. I wish.

Family was created in 2010. It also happened with another family created in 2009. Today it happened again. I went to the family itself directly (through windows, not through the edit family button) and edited it. I loaded the family into the project, but the family inside the project did not pick up any of the changes I had made. It's almost as if it is a different family altogether.

Other ideas on why the edit family button (or right click edit family) would not work?

Thank you,
Stephen

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-30, 12:21 PM
Thanks Scott. I wish.

Family was created in 2010. It also happened with another family created in 2009. Today it happened again. I went to the family itself directly (through windows, not through the edit family button) and edited it. I loaded the family into the project, but the family inside the project did not pick up any of the changes I had made. It's almost as if it is a different family altogether.

Other ideas on why the edit family button (or right click edit family) would not work?

Thank you,
Stephen

You dont have a backslash or another symbol in the name of the Family, do you? I saw Revit 2010 do some wacky things to me when that was the case. Sometimes Edit Family would work, but would truncate the family name to just what was after the slash, ergo it was a different family when i went to load it back in... Or sometimes the button wouldnt do anything. Other times, if i hit space bar to answer *yes* to Edit Family too fast, it just crashes...