PDA

View Full Version : Wall based family problems

drubinoff
2010-01-02, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to create a family which will be an awning for a wall. I've created it based on a generic wall-based family template. It looks fine in the family. However, when I place it in my main model, I get an error and it won't place.

If someone could look at the attached file and explain to me what the problem is I'd greatly appreciate it.

In general, I can't figure out how to get wall-based families to stick to the face of the wall rather than the center--this is a longstanding problem for me.

Thanks,
Derek

drubinoff
2010-01-02, 03:19 AM
Here's another version. Looks fine in the family. Completely comes apart in the project. I can't figure out why.

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-02, 11:02 PM
Here's another version. Looks fine in the family. Completely comes apart in the project. I can't figure out why.

The Family Editor is like being in space, with no gravity. Just because it looks like its on the wall in the family editor, doesnt mean itll be on the wall in the project.

You have to constrain it to the face of the wall, which typically has a reference plane on it called Wall Edge.

A good tip: before you bother loading it in the project, take the wall in the Family (the generic one) and change its size to a few different sizes. If your family doesnt *move* with the wall to make it correct at different wall sizes, youre going to have trouble in the Project Environment.

Scott D Davis
2010-01-03, 01:53 AM
A good tip: before you bother loading it in the project, take the wall in the Family (the generic one) and change its size to a few different sizes.

Not only different sizes of walls can be made in the family editor, but you can add layers of materials just like a normal wall. Then you can make something stick to the face of the core or the face of the finish.

Looking breifly at your awning, the sweep that makes up the top "tube" has the sweep path located on a work plane that is the face of the "core" layer, since your wall has only one layer currenly in the family editor.

drubinoff
2010-01-03, 03:54 AM
So, I need to recreate this family for every wall type that has a different number of layers, so that it's always aligned ot the outer layer?

Attached is wall sconce I created (from the wall-based light fixture family template) which is aligned to the the outer wall reference plane, as described. I can change the wall thickness or type in the family and it moves with the face properly. But, again, it does not land on the outer wall face in the project model (whether a simple or multi-layered wall), nor does it move with the face of the wall in when placed on a simple wall in the project when I change the simple wall's thickness (despite it performing such a task within the family). I'm confused.

Shouldn't this be a simple thing to get working?

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-03, 04:01 AM
So, I need to recreate this family for every wall type that has a different number of layers, so that it's always aligned ot the outer layer?

Attached is wall sconce I created (from the wall-based light fixture family template) which is aligned to the the outer wall reference plane, as described. I can change the wall thickness or type in the family and it moves with the face properly. But, again, it does not land on the outer wall face in the project model (whether a simple or multi-layered wall), nor does it move with the face of the wall in when placed on a simple wall in the project when I change the simple wall's thickness (despite it performing such a task within the family). I'm confused.

Shouldn't this be a simple thing to get working?

It is simple. Its not a matter of PLACING it on the outside of the wall, its a matter of CONSTRAINING it there. Thats why i say change the wall size a few times. When you make a hosted family, it should work correctly regardless of the size of the host. If it doesnt, youre going to have troubles.

Dimensions, or alignments, can be locked to the reference plane called Wall Face. When stuff isnt constrained, Gravity gets you.

drubinoff
2010-01-03, 04:08 AM
I hear/appreciate what you're saying...it makes sense....thought I'd done that.

tecnicheparametriche
2010-01-14, 10:46 PM
The trick I used
is to nest another family into the wall based one.

This way the imported object will move all at once,
even if you just constrain one edge by aligning it
to the face of the wall.

if you change the wall type in the project,
or testing the width in the family as suggested,
the fixture (in my case) moves accordingly.

Stefano