PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2010 always crash

fjtdogeno
2010-01-05, 12:28 PM
I always encounter the above subject. Is anyone here can help? This happens almost every 6 minutes of editing. Is this a hardware issue? My laptop is dual core 1.66Gz, RAM is 2 Gig, please share your ideas regarding this problem. I attached the screen shot for more of your info. Looking forward for your help/advised.

Please note that the Revit white paper was turn into black color when it crashed.

thanks and regards

Andre Carvalho
2010-01-05, 01:35 PM
Depending on the file size you are running, the specs you mentioned aren't the ideal to run Revit. Also, the fact of it turning its background black when it was white may indicate that the crashes may be related to graphic card / drivers problem.

Have you tried disabling the 3D acceleration?

Andre Carvalho

fjtdogeno
2010-01-05, 02:18 PM
Thanks Andre, the size of my project is too small its just 6MB at the moment, ok i will try your advice regarding the 3D acceleration disabling if it will work. Thanks again.

mark.98140
2010-01-05, 11:20 PM
almost all crashes are based on hardware configurations... i have been using multiple machines with revit and it has become clear that it is always something to do with ram, or graphic card drivers. Recently upgraded to a new 27" imac with 16gb ram with an ATI 4850 card and windows 7; not one crash in the last month. Other machines crash anywhere from 1-5 times a day. Revit loves high spec machines with up to date software, drivers etc.... simple but fussy.

ron.sanpedro
2010-01-06, 12:09 AM
almost all crashes are based on hardware configurations... i have been using multiple machines with revit and it has become clear that it is always something to do with ram, or graphic card drivers. Recently upgraded to a new 27" imac with 16gb ram with an ATI 4850 card and windows 7; not one crash in the last month. Other machines crash anywhere from 1-5 times a day. Revit loves high spec machines with up to date software, drivers etc.... simple but fussy.

I suspect that the drivers available in BootCamp are also just plain superior to the ones in Windows. One, because the total number of graphics cards available for all Intel Macs ever made probably numbers a score or two at most (and none of them junk cards!), including mobile variants, while nVidia alone supports a few hundred different cards on any given driver, and many of them marginal at best. And two I suspect Apple just demands a level of quality that Microsoft couldn't even identify, say nothing of articulate and require.

Gordon

yanyan77
2010-01-27, 04:12 PM
how to turn off 3D acceleration?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-01-27, 07:30 PM
Go to your Options menu and switch to the Graphics tab. Right up top is a check box for Use Hardware Acceleration. Uncheck that box.

yanyan77
2010-01-27, 07:36 PM
Go to your Options menu and switch to the Graphics tab. Right up top is a check box for Use Hardware Acceleration. Uncheck that box.

the box is unchecked, but our file still crash 4/5 times a day. so so so bothering

eric.piotrowicz
2010-01-27, 08:21 PM
It could be a driver issue, Revit is really picky about what driver/graphics card combos it likes and doesn't like. Check around the Hardware and OS forum to see if there is a list of good and bad drivers for your particular graphics card.

patricks
2010-01-27, 08:54 PM
I can attest to high-end hardware reducing crashing. Since upgrading my 3-year old Dell Precision machine to Win7 x64 and 16GB RAM, Revit has crashed a total of 2 times in the past 2 months. I still need to upgrade my 128MB graphics card, as my event viewer shows lots of graphics errors. I guess the combination of Revit and Windows Aero, among other graphics-intensive applications, start to put a choke on the graphics card, where before 128MB was plenty for my x86 system and WinXP.

sbrown
2010-01-27, 09:31 PM
You might try disabling Hardware accelleration from your display settings(not in Revit) but in windows. I used to have to do this on some old machines. just right click on your desktop and go to your display settings/advanced and find the hardware accelleration slider and turn it off.

sbrown
2010-01-27, 09:33 PM
Do you have dual monitors? I had no problems with 2 monitors of the same size, but when I upgraded one of my monitors to 24" revit crashes frequently. the graphics card just isn't good enough to display both monitors together.

Andre Carvalho
2010-01-27, 11:20 PM
I guess the combination of Revit and Windows Aero, among other graphics-intensive applications, start to put a choke on the graphics card, where before 128MB was plenty for my x86 system and WinXP.

Patrick, if you don't need it I think you can disable Windows Aero. Big difference in Windows performance.

Andre Carvalho

ckc.mike
2010-01-28, 07:25 AM

Really not one crash in a month using imac with bootcamp and window 7? That is a really exciting discovery. I was thinking about changing to use mac with REVIT, but I was not sure the performance will worth the cost of buying a mac.

if based on what you saying is true, I will really reconsider change to mac while mac using intel i7 chip.

Thank for sharing your information.