PDA

View Full Version : Greying Out Beyond Cropped View?

shbrooks
2010-01-05, 03:39 PM
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Revit so please forgive me if this is very simple to do.

I'm looking to find a way that automatically greys out buildings in the background so that I don't have to go an manually change all the view settings. I thought there might be a way to do this with the cropped view such as greying out anything beyond a certain point?

Thanks,
Sam

stuntmonkee
2010-01-05, 04:41 PM
Bad news, no can do. Thats been on the wish lists for a very long time.

Best bet is to select the objects you want grayed out, right click, and then override graphics in view.

I have heard of people creating multiple elevations and stacking them, but that seems like a coordination nightmare to me.

I guess it just depends on how much you want to add/remove.

--------------------------------------------------

On a similar side note:

If you're new to Revit, one thing you need to start thinking about is how you can adjust methods to take better advantage of what the software has to offer.

One of the first things people fight is "I'm not going to let some software dictate how I do my drawings!", and thats fine, but you can't look at it that way, or you will be miserable.

We have been letting tools of the trade adjust how we do things our entire life, but for what ever reason, when it comes to software, we are far less tolerant.

Example : Elevations

In my firms we have started using elevations more as a vertical location tool, and less as a piece of art. I'n short, Revit (using line wieghts) is not the right tool for making elevations have the look of depth. It's cumbersome. You do have the option of turning on shadows, but some people don't like that, and I have noticed that clients see the shadows as a material change.

So then it becomes an issue where you have to weight out the positives to negatives. Elevations are a bit of a pain, BUT the coordination between every elevation is correct. No more issues of one archtectural elements having 2 heights because of seperate elevations.

You are going to run into many more issues like this. Have you tried changing your leader heads yet? hehe

As soon as you realize that Revit is far more valuable than the headaches is causes, the sooner you won't see it as software dictating.

Sorry if that was a bit winded.

Stunts

Richard at AA
2010-01-05, 06:41 PM
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Revit so please forgive me if this is very simple to do.

I'm looking to find a way that automatically greys out buildings in the background so that I don't have to go an manually change all the view settings. I thought there might be a way to do this with the cropped view such as greying out anything beyond a certain point?

Thanks,
Sam

You can add a glazing plane - or several if you have multi-depth background. This will fade everything behind the glazing in elevations and sections without being visible in any other views except the 3d view - which they are easy enough to filter out. With multiple layers, the grey is lighter and lighter as each part is behind another piece of glazing.

Works like a charm and there is almost no maintenance with them.

shbrooks
2010-01-05, 07:00 PM
Thank you for your posts.

Stunt, I am finding that Revit is dictating the way I present my drawings, but I am happy with that because I can see my building in section, elevation and in 3D so it saves a lot of head scratching and keeps everything up to date. I actually find the graphics a pleasant relief from all the photorealistic images that all look the same.

Richard, that works a treat, thank you very much.

Sam

stuntmonkee
2010-01-06, 04:17 PM
You can add a glazing plane - or several if you have multi-depth background. This will fade everything behind the glazing in elevations and sections without being visible in any other views except the 3d view - which they are easy enough to filter out. With multiple layers, the grey is lighter and lighter as each part is behind another piece of glazing.

Works like a charm and there is almost no maintenance with them.

Doesnt this require you to use 3d views for your elevations?