PDA

View Full Version : Help!Joining normal walls with mass walls?

amax_design
2010-01-07, 07:17 PM
Hello,

I've been trying for the last hour to join a wall created with pick faces(mass) with a normal wall.I've tried using the Join command and for some reason i can't select the wall that's created from the mass.

Here is what I'm trying to do:
I have an mass created model(organic architecture) and the exterior walls are all angled and curvy,while my interior/normal walls are straight so basically the normal walls aren't cut when they meet the angled walls that were created from my mass,so the normal walls just go through the angled walls without them being cut.

Thank you!

cliff collins
2010-01-07, 10:48 PM
You might try including all the walls in the Mass, and then converting with the Massing tool to walls, which should make them join properly---instead of "mixing" mass-based
and non-mass based walls.

Just a thought.....

cheers

amax_design
2010-01-07, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the reply Collins,I've really taught that would work since it sounded a great idea,however after i sketch the wall shape in the actual mass and select create form some really strange shapes appear.Basically what i did is sketch some lines inside the mass itself starting from the edges and I've selected the top and bottom levels for those lines and after I clicked create form instead of resulting let's say a squarish form it resulted in a very organic form,think of a flower inside my mass :) .So I either did something wrong or this doesn't work.

I'm attaching a picture of the problem mentioned in my initial post,the 2 blueish wall represent the inner walls that i want to join with my outer curvy walls,so the part that goes straight through the outer walls should be cut somehow,but i don't know how.I've tried using the cut,join options but for some reason either nothing seems to happen or i can't select the outter/mass created walls.

AP23
2010-01-08, 09:40 AM
Getting a clean join when walls are non orthogonal in Revit is almost possible. A workaround is to extend the wall beyond the joining wall and then create an in place void to cut the extended wall.

amax_design
2010-01-08, 12:10 PM
Thank you for your suggestion AP23 unfortunately I've tried that option but instead of cutting the walls,the void cuts the mass thus modifying the mass.

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-08, 01:04 PM
Then youre making the Void while youre in the Mass. Finish the mass, then go Component > Create in Place > Wall Catagory, and make the Void again. It will cut out the wall.

Having said that, it looks like those walls simply need an edited profile, since they appear to be running on to the massed wall at a perpendicular angle. But they may just be the image. If thats the case, i wouldnt bother. Id edit the profile, and use the pick tool to select the inner face of the mass wall and call it a day.