PDA

View Full Version : Wall Hosted Families- Linked Model

Blakester122
2010-01-07, 09:17 PM
I created a pass-thru family that is wall hosted and had all sorts of parameters for dimensions, however it was all for nothing because it seems it can't be hosted on a wall that is part of the linked model.

We're an engineering consultant, so we almost exclusively work with the architect's model that we link into our files, so I need to know how to work around this. Copy/monitoring all of the walls would work, but it's overkill. I think I just created it as the wrong type of family but don't know what type to create it as.

Suggestions? Thanks!

cliff collins
2010-01-07, 10:05 PM
It needs to be a "faced based" family.

Then it will work with a linked model.

cheers.........

kmarquis
2010-01-08, 11:58 AM
Our company has had the same problem with element hosted families and linked models. We've had to remake all of our element hosted families.

You could copy/monitor only the walls that are necessary to be able to use that family. You could also just draw a thin skin wall where you need to use the family as a workaround. The problem with Copy/Monitor for walls is that if someone draws a wall in the linked model, then deletes it, then redraws it, Revit won't recognize that and your copy/monitored wall will will get deleted along with your family that it's hosted to...with all the dimensions, tags, etc.

You're better off just taking the few hours to do the family over again since this issue is going to occur over and over again.