PDA

View Full Version : Curved vs. Faceted Curtain Wall Modeling

jpyeatt
2010-01-11, 05:55 PM
All-

I'd like to continue a discussion started previously regarding curved/faceted curtain wall modeling. Specifically a discussion about VE process and the likelyhood that curved glass would eventually give way to a cheaper, segmented solutions. I'm facing this very problem and now need to leverage Revit to help me out. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=112391&highlight=curved+curtain+wall)

-I have a curved massing model, but I need faceted glazing units.
-It is a simple curve (one way in section, linear in plan).
-Each segment will result in a differently sized glass unit (so I'll ultimately need a schedule)
-Each unit will begin 150mm above the slab (sill) and continue as a straight facet to the underside of the unit above (150mm above the next floor slab.)

I need help defining a family or curtain wall that recognizes each slab height, adds +150mm for a sill dimension, and then uses this to facet the curve between each slab.

I'm pretty stuck. We've looked into re-drawing the massing model with facets (no curve), but this disassociates our curtain wall from our slabs.... and seems like a heavy-handed way of going about what could otherwise be an elegant solution. Thoughts? Help? More information that I can provide? Thanks much, again, as always.

jP.

P.S. Attached image shows the curving facade, slabs and indication of the region that needs to become faceted.

jpyeatt
2010-01-11, 07:57 PM
Replying to my own post:

I've worked with this a bit more and it seems that what I need to do us actually pretty basic, but I just don't know HOW to do it. I have a Datum offset +150mm above each slab... Now I need this datum to define the location of each horizontal Curtain Wall grid. Has anyone used Datum levels to locate CW Grids? I sure hope so!

Again, thanks.

jP.

cliff collins
2010-01-12, 01:53 PM
Reply to your 2nd post:

Check this recent thread:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=112883

Does that help?

cheers.......