PDA

View Full Version : Who's Got The Biggest...

sbrown
2003-09-18, 10:26 PM
Files of em all?

Our current job is 1 gig on the server, that is 3 local files and 1 central file each aroung 75mb + the outrageous backup files for each.

Average save to central time pushing 4-5 minutes, local save times are as long if not longer.

Can't wait for 6.0 performance increases please.

Just opening the files is a long process.

Note that working on the file is not bad.

designer56644
2003-09-19, 08:28 PM
Wow Scott,

That's a really big...er...file.
Um, mine is much smaller (keeping it cool inside the server room?).

Enviously,
bc

(but yes, file save times are really starting to bug me, and I've got into the nasty habit of passing on the auto save reminder dialog. Autodesk did a good job with adt2004 files, lets hope they nail a compression routine for Revit as well)

Vincent Valentijn
2003-09-22, 08:10 AM
Filesizes are pretty big here too but.. 'just' about 6Mb for a unit. The real problems just come when stuff is linked together. Say Scott.. those files of yours - how on earth did it grow that big? I'm pretty curious on what it contains...
The -skip saves- habit is pretty strong here too btw. the waitingtimes are just way too long. That Acad2004 trick is some sort of built in compression [I presume, since you can no longer compress them yourself.. okay.. maybe to 99,5% but that's not much huh?] so they might be able to make it for Revit? [RVT's still compress to about 88% sooo] Let's hope so, also fixing Revit's inability to use no graphic-card-capacity at all might help speed things up?

sbrown
2003-09-22, 02:09 PM
I don't know why the file is so big, there is a lot of detail in this job its a 7story mixed use in the mountains. high level of detail. Many .jpgs inserted for ul assemblies, etc.

I sure wish these could link instead of insert.

Wes Macaulay
2003-09-22, 04:07 PM
We have clients with Revit files over 50Mb. (And larger ones on the way!) Their computers have good specs, local saves are about 45 seconds, saves to central in the 2-3 minute range. This prompted me to ask Revit if the entire local file is being sent across the network... evidently it isn't. What is happening is the Revit is reconciling the local and central files, which is where all the time gets burned up.

sbrown
2003-09-22, 08:09 PM
My local file takes from 4-5 min. to save, saves to central are sometimes much quicker sometimes much longer.

We are running the best machines available(or close to it).

Wes Macaulay
2003-09-22, 10:50 PM
That's weird - saving to central should take longer than saving locally. Where are you working again - anywhere close to the Bermuda Triangle? :wink: