PDA

View Full Version : Cavity Wall Bug in 2010

davidcobi
2010-01-12, 07:38 PM
We do a lot of niches in cavity walls for bookcases etc.

In Revit 2010 when you place a deep niche with a void the layers on the interior side of the core disappear along the whole length of the wall.

This support request has been sent to Autodesk.

The only fix I've found is to move all of your interior layers into the wall core. I've attached screenshots of the problem and the fix.

If anyone can find a solution other than moving everything on the interior side into the core please let me know. Thanks.

ws
2010-01-13, 12:40 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, and the workaround

I had noticed something strange was happening but assumed it was a problem with the niche family rather than the wall.

cliff collins
2010-01-13, 01:34 PM
Another way to do niches is to create a window family without any frame or glazing,
just the opening cut, and give a depth parameter so it only cuts partially through the wall.

They clean up with the walls properly, as a window family.

You can then have instances with different sizes, and schedule the niches.

cheers..........

ws
2010-01-13, 04:07 PM
That's a very good idea, thanks :)

davidcobi
2010-01-13, 06:29 PM
How do you control the depth of an opening cut. I was under the impression that the opening cut tool cuts all the way through the wall. Thanks.

greg.mcdowell
2010-01-13, 07:56 PM
you would need to delete the default opening and use a parametric void

cliff collins
2010-01-13, 08:03 PM
I believe you can specify a width parameter with a reference plane and a dimension in the window family from the face of the wall to the reference plane to control the depth it cuts back into the wall--similar to giving a door family an offset/depth for where the frame "sits in the wall".

cheers.............

polyporter
2010-01-13, 08:06 PM
I believe you can specify a width parameter with a reference plane and a dimension in the window family from the face of the wall to the reference plane to control the depth it cuts back into the wall--similar to giving a door family an offset/depth for where the frame "sits in the wall".

cheers.............

I wondered how to successfully do this without having to cut voids everywhere.
Created a Niche like you suggested, works great and as far as the depth I created a ref. plane within the wall with a depth parameter to attach the void to. Works

davidcobi
2010-01-13, 10:28 PM
It doesn't seem to matter if I create the void in-place or create a void in a window family. I still get the same result... a wall with interior layers disappearing. If it's a shallow niche everything works fine, but if the niche is deeper than the centerline of the wall I lose the interior layers.

Ok, if I turn off layer wrapping for the interior layers I can get the niche to go as deep as I like. Looks like I just have to uncheck the Wraps option for Interior Layers. It does kinda screw up wrapping at doors and windows though.

No desirable solutions yet.