PDA

View Full Version : [2010] Section Line Alignment (OPEN)

burnsrich
2010-01-13, 12:59 PM
When trying to make a section on random angles, I am having to move the section end to a parallel line select rotate, move the rotate mark to the tail and then rotate the section line.

I would like to select align and align the section line directly to the angle required. this would reduce problems with modeling and connection ductwork.

Jrobker
2010-01-14, 11:47 PM
I 2nd this wish!
When is the last time we have seen square buildings with 90 degree corners?

smcmillin
2010-01-15, 12:17 AM
Agreed, this would of been a big time saver on my last project.

This wish should also be posted in the Arch wishes, AUGI actually gathers that data and sends out an email to vote on them and they submit them to Autodesk. I don't think they do that for MEP. The arch's over there may have also found a workaround by now since they've had Revit a lot longer then us.

Steve_Stafford
2010-01-15, 07:57 AM
Is is safe to assume that there is something in the model at the desired angle already and that's why you want the section at angle? I'm having trouble imagining why I'd cut a section at an angle across a corridor for example. Fwiw, if there is a wall at the angle you need, just sketch the section near that wall...Revit should "snap" parallel to the wall by highlighting the parallel wall when the section is parallel. I'm not saying you don't need what you are asking for just wondering if you are seeing this behavior or not. You can sketch a section parallel to the angled wall and then drag the section where you really want it.

mjdanowski
2010-01-15, 02:12 PM
We are currently working on a project where one wing of the building is at like 53 degrees. It would be nice to be able to make perpendicular/parallel sections of that part of the building. Right now you can only get it "really close".

We could make a new section, but many times my sections are customized to what I want to see in them. Its just easier to be able to move an existing one over than to make a new one and mess with the V/G settings.

smcmillin
2010-01-15, 04:40 PM
if there is a wall at the angle you need, just sketch the section near that wall...Revit should "snap" parallel to the wall by highlighting the parallel wall when the section is parallel.

This is true with walls, but not pipe or duct. I had a run of 77 feeders (using pipe) at a slight angle on plan view that I was trying to maneuver around structural. I needed to cut a section so I can copy down the feeders and reconnect them at a 45 degree angle. The slight offset of the section resulted in the feeders being slightly off and it would not allow me to connect all of them together.

Jrobker
2010-01-15, 05:45 PM
We are currently working on a project where one wing of the building is at like 53 degrees. It would be nice to be able to make perpendicular/parallel sections of that part of the building. Right now you can only get it "really close".

We could make a new section, but many times my sections are customized to what I want to see in them. Its just easier to be able to move an existing one over than to make a new one and mess with the V/G settings.

I concur with this.
I would rather Rotate/Align sections, than have eight different sections depending on the angle i want to see. Also just like smcmillin said. Our duct doesn't always run parrallel with the walls, like when it is segemented around a rotunda.
If our sections are not exactly the same angle as what we are trying to connect to, then forget it.

This is a must!

Steve_Stafford
2010-01-15, 11:03 PM
I'm not discounting the wish, just offering options for now. Fwiw, you can also show the workplane "grid" and rotate it into the desired angle you want to work with. Then what you sketch will align with the grid nicely...

You can also create extra views and rotate the crop region to align with the angle"ness"...

matthew.boynton967478
2012-10-23, 01:51 AM
A rotation grip on the section would be helpful often. Rotating a section with the rotate command only works if you know the initial angle of the section because you can't snap to the section.