PDA

View Full Version : Schedule/Quantities vs. Material Takeoff

Ning Zhou
2010-01-15, 03:10 PM
if i use multi-categories Material Takeoff + Shared Parameters (mostly for linear info.) + Filter, then i can create almost all needed estimating info.
looks like Material Takeoff already included most (if not all) Schedule/Quantities functions, categories, etc.
any best practice of when i should use Schedule/Quantities instead of Material Takeoff or reverse?

Ning Zhou
2010-01-15, 04:37 PM
i noticed that Calculate totals field being greyed out in Material Takeoff, maybe that's the case to use Schedule instead of Material Takeoff when linear calculation is needed, is it?

Scott Womack
2010-01-15, 09:21 PM
In a Material Take-off schedule, you would use Material:Area, not the normal area. Also, the more definative your material assignments are, the more accurate you can get the material take-off schedule. It reads the actual names of the materials.

Ning Zhou
2010-01-19, 07:18 PM
thanks Scott.
another question which i'm sure you must encounter before, what is the BEST way to distinguish parameter of the nested shared family .
for example, i have a line-based shared GM family for batten linear calculation, and i nested into parent families of various categories, obviously in schedule it needs "separated" for battens used in different category/family/type/etc.
initially i was thinking to create another shared parameter like batten type, see attached image, don't know if it's the BEST approach?