PDA

View Full Version : converting AutoCAD blocks into families

sami
2010-01-15, 04:02 PM
I’ve got a bunch of Autocad blocks that I’d like to convert into families.
They are all 2d, and I will keep them as model lines only with no modeling, the only thing is that I need them to have the correct family category and name, so that I can schedule them correctly.

Is there a way to automate the process a little?

david_peterson
2010-01-15, 05:45 PM
My best suggestion is don't do it.
Don't import anything from cad into Revit.
For one it's going to slow performance, and it's going to look like ****.
Best way is for you to re-create them using revit objects, lines, groups and families. Also Acad block won't be families, ie no parameters (that I know of) ie No schedule.
You need to add parameters to the families in order for them to schedule. You could link the blocks in and trace them in revit using revit lines. I wouldn't insert them and explode them because they will still be acad lines, not revit objects.
Best suggestion, bite the bullet and spend the time to create them or use the families that Adesk provides with revit and fix what needs fixing (which is a lot IMHO)

Andre Carvalho
2010-01-15, 06:23 PM
Don't import anything from cad into Revit.

And if you ever do it, make sure you import and explode it into a blank family. Then select all the lines that are there and change it to be one of the Revit line styles. Then select it again, copy and paste into the final family. By doing this, you make sure that all trash that will come from ACAD when you export and explode the block, stays in that first blank family (which you can just close without saving later) and not being brought to the final family and the project.

Andre Carvalho

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-15, 09:55 PM
I agree with both of the above. Plus, start to think about your expectations when youre modeling in the future. Are you going to have Surface Patterns on your floors? If so, imported DWG files in to families wont be very flattering. Youll need masking regions in there too. You can pick the DWG for them (or the Revit lines after the convert, just as Andre described), but at that point you might as well set up a few reference planes, put on a few parameters, and redraw the thing.

The only time i even bother *and when i do, its using the process Andre describes with a blank neutral file in the middle so nothing gets carried over) is when i have manufacturer specific content that for some reason i HAVE to show. Even then, its a judgement call on whether or not it should be put in to the model or not.