PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions re: picking, hiding, & showing

buttonsrtoys
2010-01-17, 11:11 PM
Working through a tutorial I've drawn a slab-on-grade in my Level 1 and want to select it to edit its profile. This has brought up a couple questions.

Q1. When I click at the edge of the slab, understandably Revit picks the wall above it. Without moving the mouse, I clicked again thinking it might start cycling through possible picks until I got to the slab, but it just kept picking the wall. When I pick the center of the slab, I didn't get a pick. How do you something underneath?

Q2. As a workaround for the issue in Q1, I selected the wall, clicked "Hide > Elements" and was then able to pick and edit my slab. But, when I selected "Show" to make my wall visible again, it wasn't there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Henry D
2010-01-18, 01:25 AM
Working through a tutorial I've drawn a slab-on-grade in my Level 1 and want to select it to edit its profile. This has brought up a couple questions.

Q1. When I click at the edge of the slab, understandably Revit picks the wall above it. Without moving the mouse, I clicked again thinking it might start cycling through possible picks until I got to the slab, but it just kept picking the wall. When I pick the center of the slab, I didn't get a pick. How do you something underneath?

Q2. As a workaround for the issue in Q1, I selected the wall, clicked "Hide > Elements" and was then able to pick and edit my slab. But, when I selected "Show" to make my wall visible again, it wasn't there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Q1- There are at least a couple of ways to do this: 1) do a crossing window over the area where the slab is and then go to the filter icon and deselect all the items except the slab...the slab will then be selected and you can edit it 2) select the wall and do a temporary hide item (sunglasses at bottom of screen)

Q2 - If you click on the reveal hidden items button (light bulb next to sunglasses) the wall you have hidden will appear in dark red...you can highlight it and select "unhide element" at top of the screen

Hope that helps

buttonsrtoys
2010-01-18, 01:49 AM
Q1- There are at least a couple of ways to do this: 1) do a crossing window over the area where the slab is and then go to the filter icon and deselect all the items except the slab...the slab will then be selected and you can edit it 2) select the wall and do a temporary hide item (sunglasses at bottom of screen)

Q2 - If you click on the reveal hidden items button (light bulb next to sunglasses) the wall you have hidden will appear in dark red...you can highlight it and select "unhide element" at top of the screen

Hope that helps

Yes, it helped very much. Thank you!

DaveP
2010-01-18, 02:07 PM
All that Hiding and un-Hiding is most definitely the hard way.
In Revit, the TAB key is your best friend.
Simply move your mouse over the wall - don't click yet! You'll see the wall turn purple. Now - without moving the mouse - hit the TAB key. The TAB key cycles through any objects that are under the cursor. Just what you were expecting when you clicked multiple times.
The purple (called pre-highlighting) indicates what will get selected once you click.
Also, watch down in the lower left corner. The Status Bar will tell you what the TAB key has pre-highlighted.