PDA

View Full Version : SKP Import Cutablility

zanzibarbob7
2010-01-18, 03:17 PM
I've imported a SKP model into Revit but cannot cut it with a Revit Section. At another desk they have done the same thing, with the same apparent settings and are able to cut with section. Mine is an elevation view with no cutting, which is useless for establishing level 1.

I can cut with a section box but that won't give me the levels. What could be the problem? Revit 2010.

david_peterson
2010-01-18, 06:06 PM
Is that category visible under your import tabs for that view? Other option would be go to that model that it worked in and create a view template so you can match all the settings in your model. Just a thought.

ron.sanpedro
2010-01-18, 07:53 PM
I've imported a SKP model into Revit but cannot cut it with a Revit Section. At another desk they have done the same thing, with the same apparent settings and are able to cut with section. Mine is an elevation view with no cutting, which is useless for establishing level 1.

I can cut with a section box but that won't give me the levels. What could be the problem? Revit 2010.

What category is the import in? If you put a SKP file in a furniture family it won't cut, but the same SKP in a Casework family will. Just like native Revit stuff.

Gordon

jamesgchambers
2010-01-19, 01:11 PM
In order to cut imported objects, you have to place them into an in-place cuttable family. Like a Generic Model or Mass.

Check out the example below...

zanzibarbob7
2010-01-26, 01:24 PM
Just a follow up in case someone else has this problem. I tried importing the Sketchup model into a Mass family, which is my normal method, but kept getting an error. Turns out that the Skp was too large for the family. I reduced the size and it works fine.

This was a large city model and I edited it to remove some of the background. I don't know what the file size limit is to import into a Revit Mass family but this was too large. It cuts fine now but if I had a choice I would do most of my massing in Revit but someone has gone to a lot of work in Skp and I just wanted to cut my time down. Thanks for all the help!