PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a day light analysis in Revit?

yanyan77
2010-01-18, 08:08 PM
How can you make a day light ananlysis in Revit for LEED project?
Could you tell me how to do it, if you know?
thanks

clog boy
2010-01-19, 12:32 PM
What do you want, a graphical solar study?

In case you wonder about daylight entering a room, it 'should' in theory be possible if in Window schedule you could input just one more Toroom property... you can include Toroom-name, Toroom-number, but for some strange reason not Toroom-area. Which is very unfortunate. I think Autodesk deliberately left that out to push their MEP software and the third party green building analysis plugin.

cliff collins
2010-01-19, 05:53 PM
You can do a much better job taking the Revit model into Ecotect.

Check it out:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=12602821&siteID=123112

cheers............

andy.239668
2010-01-19, 10:06 PM
Ecotect is hard to use, great software if you can figure it out (based on my experience in school. the crack we got for it actually caused the software to give us false results, just being educated on the theory of sunlight penetration we were able to look at the results and say they were incorrect)... ok enough about ecotect.

VE Ware is a free 3rd party plugin for Revit (www.iesve.com) that allows you to do sunlight penetration. The last version still had some bugs and the results were only as good as the integrity of your model, but it quite literally would perform an analysis and give us a page to print out that said whether it met the LEED requirements. (you told it what category each room belonged to so it distinguished between regularly occupied and non spaces).

The plugin is free for Revit and I have been using it for 3 years now. It is excellent software and is making large jumps each version. I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to show up on Autodesk's radar as an acquisition.