PDA

View Full Version : Structural Elements in Revit Architecture

kgodfrey
2010-01-19, 03:08 PM
We are using Revit Structure 2010 and we have a model from an architect where they modeled all the joists, joist girders, beams, columns, etc.

It looks like they used structural elements to model everything (i.e. the joists are 28K7's and come from the K-Series Bar Joist-Angle Web family, the columns are HSS6X6X5/16 and come from the HSS-Hollow Structural Section-Column family. Both seem to have all the properties of joists and columns I would see if I used Revit Structure elements). Are these elements essentially the same thing found in Revit Structure? Do users of Revit Architecture have access to the same elements as Structure users? If I use these elements in my model, will we run into any problems?

Thanks for any help.

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-19, 03:23 PM
Theyre the same. RST has MORE content, but where the Family Names are the same, its actually the same content.

EDIT: This also is only true operating under the very big assumption that no one has edited or changed the Family...

kgodfrey
2010-01-19, 03:58 PM
Theyre the same. RST has MORE content, but where the Family Names are the same, its actually the same content.

EDIT: This also is only true operating under the very big assumption that no one has edited or changed the Family...

This is what I was assuming. As far as I know the families have not been changed.

Thanks for your help.

Steven Campbell
2010-01-19, 05:03 PM
RST and RAC share most of the same content, so there should be no issues between the two products.
Steve

patricks
2010-01-19, 05:35 PM
We have edited the OOTB bar joist families to allow different top chord extensions on each end. Why they didn't do this to begin with is beyond me. But if your architect did that to their families, I'm not sure how that would/will affect you.