PDA

View Full Version : general slowness

ivan.239950
2010-01-20, 09:16 PM
I am running Revit 2010 on a nice new computer but simple tasks like placing a wall or editing the edge of a floor, take a few seconds to complete. I get the little hourglass spinner and everything. My model isn't particularly big either. I think I have about 50 walls and floors placed so far.

Here are my specs:
Intel i7extreme processor
12G ram
1G quadro pro graphics card
Windows 7 64
plenty of open hard-drive space

I'm new to Revit. Is this sluggishness normal? If not, any troubleshooting advice?
thanks,
Ivan

sbrown
2010-01-20, 09:30 PM
Do you have Direct 3d turned on. If not do so. Its under the R>options>Graphics. If you have dwg files linked into your project turn them off.

ivan.239950
2010-01-20, 10:00 PM
I have Direct3d on and have deleted all linked dwgs. Sluggishness persists. Hmmmm.

ckc.mike
2010-01-20, 10:31 PM
Turnoff the Direct3D hardware acceleration in Revit, that will solve the problem. The computer I use similar configuration to yours. I have done some research sometime ago. The main reason is Window 7 and Quadro card are using Direct3D 11, but Revit 2010 was built on Direct3D 10. So there might have compatible issue between two versions.

ivan.239950
2010-01-20, 10:56 PM
Well, that helps with the redrawing, which was a little strange with Direct3d on.
BUT, it didn't help with the speed of placing and changing objects in the drawing.

dhurtubise
2010-01-20, 11:08 PM
Network speed, computer specs and warning counts would be helpful.

ckc.mike
2010-01-20, 11:23 PM
Try this, that will help.

Close the Revit project model file and close the Revit Session.
Restart a new Revit Session, then open the project model file with Audit.

Hope that will improve a bit.

ivan.239950
2010-01-21, 01:07 AM
Network speed, computer specs and warning counts would be helpful.

I don't know what you mean by network speed or how to clock it (you don't mean internet speed do you?), and I put the basic specs at the top of this thread:

Intel i7extreme processor
12G ram
1G quadro pro graphics card
Windows 7 64
plenty of open hard-drive space

BUT i did find that there are thousands of error warnings related to the architecture files that were once linked to our work. They read like this usually:
". . .room is not a properly enclosed region"
Revit won't let me delete these, and even if it did, checking through a couple thousand.
Would errors for non-existent objects slow me down?

ckc.mike
2010-01-21, 02:20 AM
A couple thousands of error!!! that is too much, I think it is lucky the file doesn't crush. Based on an official documentation released from Autodesk, large amount of error will certainly slow down the Revit performance.

My suggestion is clear those Rooms out from the Linked Model, you can use Room Schedule list view group the rooms by AREA, then select the Not Enclosed and delete them in one hit.

SCShell
2010-01-21, 02:49 PM
Try this, that will help.

Close the Revit project model file and close the Revit Session.
Restart a new Revit Session, then open the project model file with Audit.

Hope that will improve a bit.

Hi,
Never heard of this. What is "Audit"....sorry if this is a stupid question.
Steve

eric.piotrowicz
2010-01-21, 03:20 PM
When you use the File>Open menu to open a project there is a checkbox near the bottom left of the window for Audit. Pick it and then Open to Audit the project.

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-21, 03:28 PM
BUT i did find that there are thousands of error warnings related to the architecture files that were once linked to our work. They read like this usually:
". . .room is not a properly enclosed region"
Revit won't let me delete these, and even if it did, checking through a couple thousand.
Would errors for non-existent objects slow me down?

It absolutely would cause a massive slowdown. First, lets clarify a few things:

1. Room not enclosed. This doesnt mean the rooms are gone, it means theyre in the model somewhere, with no boundaries. So everytime you try to place a wall, its looking to see if youve managed to bound any rooms.

2. If you had a linked model in there, that was set to Room bounding, and then you placed rooms in it, then deleted the link, thats where all these came from. If you create a room schedule in the ribbon you can tell it to isolate the unenclosed rooms. Delete them, if you dont need them. if you need them, enclose them.

3. A few thousand warnings is absolutely brutal. "Zero" is the official number thats tolerable in a file, though anything under 100 is decent for a fairly new project team. Working by "Butt dyno" and by historical precedent, once a file gets over 250ish warnings, ive started to see noticeable and somewhat quantifiable repercussions, in the realm of File Slowdown, file size bloat, errors during SWC, failure to SWC, crashes, etc.

BUT, try something: Start a brand new file, and see if the lagginess persists. If it does, make sure your new file doesnt have a few thousand warnings (hopefully the unenclosed rooms arent in your template, LOL). If the lagginess is gone, you can rule out most of the hardware/network/computer issues, and focus on the model being a mess.

If laginess is present in a new file, youve got other issues.

ivan.239950
2010-01-21, 11:21 PM
A couple thousands of error!!! that is too much, I think it is lucky the file doesn't crush. Based on an official documentation released from Autodesk, large amount of error will certainly slow down the Revit performance.

My suggestion is clear those Rooms out from the Linked Model, you can use Room Schedule list view group the rooms by AREA, then select the Not Enclosed and delete them in one hit.

Thanks ckc.mike. Quite the novice here in case nobody noticed, but, following your advice, I got most of the errors out of the file and now its quite speedy.

patricks
2010-01-22, 12:54 AM
With the way our drawings are done, some errors are just unavoidable it seems. We use the Type Mark field to denote a door as Type F, G, HG, etc for flush, glass, half glass, etc. But all sizes of flush doors need an F type mark, and all sizes of full glass doors need a G type mark. This results in several duplicate type mark warnings/errors. Anyone have suggestions for other methods?

dhurtubise
2010-01-22, 01:14 AM
Thanks ckc.mike. Quite the novice here in case nobody noticed, but, following your advice, I got most of the errors out of the file and now its quite speedy.

Glad i asked the question ;)

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-22, 03:24 AM
With the way our drawings are done, some errors are just unavoidable it seems. We use the Type Mark field to denote a door as Type F, G, HG, etc for flush, glass, half glass, etc. But all sizes of flush doors need an F type mark, and all sizes of full glass doors need a G type mark. This results in several duplicate type mark warnings/errors. Anyone have suggestions for other methods?

I dont have any quantifuable data in THIS regard, but it *seems* like these are the ones that are less likely to cause major slowdowns over time. All it can do is constantly check a data field wondering if youre going to change it. But if you think about Room Area and Romo volume calculations, things that constantly "feel around" for other things, seem to impact pretty heavily.

Ive been giving more thought to doors having sizes as instance parameters, Of course, the Panel type isnt an issue for us since we use Nested Panels. It just becomes another issue (in the same sense) because then our door "type" is really a Frame Type (since we dont use the nested frames, we just use a different door "as the frame"). So an F, and a G, and an HG all are defined by the Panel families. But yeah, a "Type 1" fram in 36x84 and a "Type 1" frame in 30x84 have the same type mark, which is annoying.

Thats why i was saying: technically "0" is the mark for where we want warnings to be, but anyone doing real work knows its not going to happen. Not unless youre going to let a piece of software COMPLETELY drive your office standards out the window. We let Revit drive the car when the car has a chance to go faster and be better. Were not retooling standard operating Door conventions over a Type Mark warning, LOL.

truevis
2010-01-26, 02:06 PM
Certainly seems like the errors are your problem. But, even new computers are often packed with all kinds of unneeded software in Startup. I recommend getting rid of as much of that bloat as possible.

I like Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml).