PDA

View Full Version : Stair issues "Stair Requires No More Than Two Boundaries":

jj mac
2010-01-21, 03:08 PM
I am creating a u-shape stair with 2 winders at each landing. When I finish the sketch I get an error message telling me that the "Stair requires no more than two boundaries".

The thing of it is, if I create the exact same stair from a fresh file everything works perfectly. But when I create the stair in the project that I want it in, it will not work...

I am not clear what causes this error to happen in one project but not in the other.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appriciate the help!

patricks
2010-01-21, 03:22 PM
Have you tried creating it in a new file and then copy/pasting it into your current project?

jj mac
2010-01-21, 03:34 PM
Yes, I did that, and it worked without any problems.

Good for a work around... I just made the floor to floor heights the same and it was perfect.

patricks
2010-01-21, 03:52 PM
Yes, I did that, and it worked without any problems.

Good for a work around... I just made the floor to floor heights the same and it was perfect.

Okay now, have you tried editing the stair after you pasted it in, and then finish it, and see if it gives you any errors?

jamesgchambers
2010-01-21, 05:37 PM
You'll also find that sometimes Revit will struggle with intersections of two boundary lines and one tread line. I've found that pulling the tread line away from the boundary line will eliminate this error.

The image attached shows two examples of 3 lines intersecting at a T with the green and purple (highlited) lines being stair boundaries and the Black line being a tread line. The example on the left shows them connected and the example on the right shows them pulled apart. The right arrangement helps Revit understand that the tread line is not meant to represent a boundary.

ecoley
2010-02-04, 07:44 PM
I've been using Revit forever... and I've never thought to do that. Thanks for the pro-tip. That little item has never made sense to me.

jj mac
2010-02-04, 09:34 PM
This has been great getting all these tips!

I have tried copying and pasting the stair from a new project to the one is question, and everything worked! Even when we edited it, there were no problems.

I also tried the trick as mentioned by jamesgchambers and this has also seemed to help solve this problem!

So, two good tips... thanks for all the help everyone.

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-04, 10:14 PM
Was it a workset project and using the riser and boundary tools instead of the run tool? If so there is a quirk that requires you to sketch the boundary lines full length and then split them after building the basic sketch. Splitting at each transition between flat and sloping "stringers". Glad you are back on track in the meantime.

jj mac
2010-02-24, 06:34 PM
Thanks Steve. It is a workshare project, and the stair was created using the run tool.

Although it was a little while ago when we found the workaround, I will keep this other suggestion in mind for the future. Thanks again.

dfherrero
2017-09-26, 01:13 PM
You'll also find that sometimes Revit will struggle with intersections of two boundary lines and one tread line. I've found that pulling the tread line away from the boundary line will eliminate this error.

The image attached shows two examples of 3 lines intersecting at a T with the green and purple (highlited) lines being stair boundaries and the Black line being a tread line. The example on the left shows them connected and the example on the right shows them pulled apart. The right arrangement helps Revit understand that the tread line is not meant to represent a boundary.

James I had never gotten to sketch a stair in Revit until I ran into this suggestion. It's ridiculous that I'm writing this 7 years later and this glitch hasn't been solved in the software. Thank you.