PDA

View Full Version : transparent massing casting shadows?

sami
2010-01-21, 08:40 PM
If I mass a building and have its material transparent, then it doesn’t cast shadows, is there a way to have it cast shadows and still be transparent?

dhurtubise
2010-01-22, 01:19 AM
Why would a transparent material cast shadows?

sami
2010-01-22, 12:41 PM
in the case of creating a schematic massing of a building, the transparency of the building would only be a graphic representation so that we can better see its relation to its context.

PS in reality glass does cast a shadow, its just translucent based on the opacity of the glass.

Scott D Davis
2010-01-22, 05:37 PM
If I mass a building and have its material transparent, then it doesn’t cast shadows, is there a way to have it cast shadows and still be transparent?

Yes, change the material properties of the glass that the mass uses to be something other than 100% transparent.

sami
2010-01-23, 11:49 PM
Yes, change the material properties of the glass that the mass uses to be something other than 100% transparent.

when I change the material transparency to any number other than 0% I lose the shadows in shaded views. (This is the transparency slider bar under Materials/Grapics/Shading)

am I missing something here?

dhurtubise
2010-01-24, 04:51 PM
No you got ti right. As soon as you change the transparence y value to other then 0% it won't cast shadows.

Scott D Davis
2010-01-25, 06:14 AM
No you got ti right. As soon as you change the transparence y value to other then 0% it won't cast shadows.

Hmm interesting. I thought that I have changed the settings before where some transparency would cast shadow...sorry about that!

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-01-25, 06:33 AM
I recall that too Scott. I think prior to 2008 there was a 'point of no return' (about 65% if I recall) where transparent masses would still cast shadows. Probably one of the things that was 'fixed' at someone's request :lol:

dhurtubise
2010-01-25, 03:04 PM
Probably one of the things that was 'fixed' at someone's request :lol:

ahahah One of those fix