PDA

View Full Version : Component type separation in the list

adegnan
2003-09-19, 08:08 PM
I would like to be able to only show some of my loaded components at a time. For instance, if I'm installing lighting, I don't really want to see my plumbing or cabinetry componentsin the list. So I'd like to be able to shorten the list by only showing a certain component type.

Any ideas?

Scott D Davis
2003-09-19, 08:56 PM
No ideas yet....but I totally agree witth you. My Components drop-down list is getting huge, making it tough to locate items.

LRaiz
2003-09-19, 09:38 PM
You do know that instead of pressing Component button and then selecting your component in the type dropdown you can pick what you want in the Familes branch of the browser and then drag and drop it into a view, don't you?

Scott D Davis
2003-09-20, 12:10 AM
Yeah, and drag and drop from an explorer window, too! I find that the families branch in the browser is too 'buried' in the browser. If I have Plans, RCPs, sections, sheets, etc all expanded, the families is way down at the bottom of the list. Then I have to expand each of the individual catagories in the Families brach to find the instance of the object I'm looking for.

I'm ready for a "customizable" browser in 6.0!

gnl
2003-09-22, 07:03 AM
I totally agree with Scott!
I can't wait to be able to customize, filter and organize the project browser, and maybe even have a separate "family browser" that opens on request when you select component...

gregcashen
2003-09-22, 03:27 PM
I think an adobe-style palette system with the ability to display families either by the way they are organized in our folders or by family type would be very handy indeed. That, or more context sensitive family placement. If you want to place a site component or a detail component, there is a special command for that...why not make it so for every type of family?

Ed: changed fo to of :wink:

adegnan
2003-10-01, 12:50 PM
You do know that instead of pressing Component button and then selecting your component in the type dropdown you can pick what you want in the Familes branch of the browser and then drag and drop it into a view, don't you?

Yes, Leonid, thank you. But even the project browser can become cumbersome when there are SO MANY families loaded. And after I have a lot of views, and I'm switching back and forth, I want to have the browser available to go view-to-view quickly...

My idea that I came up with while not sleeping last night was for there to be another tab on the design bar. Keep the "component" button in the individual design bars where it exists now. Add another tab to it called "component insertion" where, within that design bar, you can select "electric" and get a pull-down of all loaded electric components, "plumbing" and get all loaded plumbing components... etc...

Think it can be done? Any other ideas for improvement?