PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using AMD PC with revit?

Wagurto
2004-11-26, 03:35 PM
I need to buy a very inexpensive computer to run Revit for basic project and to learn to use the program. I have a very good deal in a AMD pc that I can afford but I am not sure the pc is going to work with Revit. Any advice will be appreciate.
Thanks

ariasdelcid
2004-11-26, 03:50 PM
AMD processors are probably better for Revit and Cad work given their advanced floating point capabilities. I have been using AMD based computers with Revit for years and it works very well. Just get as much RAM as you can.

barathd
2004-11-26, 04:33 PM
I was using an Athlon 2200 with 1.5 gig of ram until a week ago. Worked very fine. I upgraded to an Athlon 64 - 3400 with 2 gig of DDR ram since - works that much better. Don't think in any way the former machine is inadequate. Big difference is I am using a Quadro based Nvidia card (FX 500 - not expensive) now. Only the Nvidia cards designated "Quadro" have the full Open GL capabilities. I also took a chance on the Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse. In combination with the video card the mouse is super smooth. Long and short of it is an older Athlon system will suit you fine as long as you have an adequate video card and plenty of fast ram.

Good Luck

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-26, 07:49 PM
I've used AMD chips in my home pc's for the last 6 years or so... I've built my own and bought the stuff at computer shows. My current pc has an AMD 1700xp (1.4ghz) chip and 1gb RAM with a Matrox Millenium G450 32mb dual head video card. As you can see these specs are pretty dated but this pc actually holds it's own against my higher powered Dell Intel pc at the office in everything except spinning/panning/zooming large projects in 3d. I'm planning to upgrade again sometime next year and will have no qualms about using an AMD product again.

Roger Evans
2004-11-26, 07:49 PM
Always had AMD never had any real problems with Revit current spec is 64 3200 1.5 Gig
Go for best performance fast ram & quality motherboard
Take a look through the hardware section for more info

Jit
2004-11-28, 09:42 PM
I am using amd64 3500 with 2 gig of normal ram (not registered) and it rocks, the best so far i have had.

I used to use a p4 3.2 with 2 gig of ram and this thing kills it. it make revit a pleasure to work with, everything is instantaneous.

you will love it, try and go for the fx chips if you can.

Wagurto
2004-11-28, 11:49 PM
thanks guys, I really appreciated your comments because I don not know how to read AMD spec's. If anybody can give me an idea what will be the equivalent to this spec's in Pentium terms and if it will work with Revit 7.0
thanks
Wintergreen AMD Sempron 2400+(1.66GHz) / 256MB DDR / 40GB HDD / CD-RW / Windows XP Home / Desktop PC

Roger Evans
2004-11-29, 12:15 AM
How much are you paying for this?
There are some cracking deals for much better spec

First observation is to increase Ram so check on its slots & limitations/ abilities to upgrade & insist on getting it immediately

I had AMD 2400 with 512 before (refer benchmark test results) & it worked OK not much difference to my new machine but I had problems when trying to upgrade Ram ~ hence comments

Taylor A
2004-11-29, 12:16 AM
I've just ordered a AMD Opteron 246 2000 MHz FSB, Dual Processor, 2 Gig RAM, SCSI drive etc etc. Its supposed to be here today.

Its was suggested to me that it should be at least 40% faster than a Pentium 4 3.6GHz/800 MHz FSB machine.

I'll let you know when I get it.....Hurry up George...wheres my machine.

ariasdelcid
2004-11-29, 06:29 AM
try to get ram up to 1.5 gigs. you will see the diference

Wagurto
2004-11-30, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your input, I will ask for the maximum Ram possible. I am just interested in this package because of the price. I will pay $300 after a rebate of $80 or so.
For that price I understand will not get a top gun but I am just concern that it can run Revit and it can produce small projects without problems.
Thanks again.

FK
2004-11-30, 09:09 PM
Small projects, no problem.

Taylor A
2004-12-11, 07:49 PM
I've just ordered a AMD Opteron 246 2000 MHz FSB, Dual Processor, 2 Gig RAM, SCSI drive etc etc. Its supposed to be here today.

Its was suggested to me that it should be at least 40% faster than a Pentium 4 3.6GHz/800 MHz FSB machine.

I'll let you know when I get it.....Hurry up George...wheres my machine.

Reporting back on the above Workstation.

Its fantastic, My large Site Plan files with lots of linked file are loading up 4 times faster than my Pentium 4/2.8 GHz workstation. Everything else seem to be instantaneous.

blads
2004-12-13, 03:16 AM
Far out you guys have absolute grunters of machines...

I've still running an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ MHz with 1 Gig Ram and it purrs along quite happily...

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-14, 01:46 PM
My current pc has an AMD 1700xp (1.4ghz) chip and 1gb RAM with a Matrox Millenium G450 32mb dual head video card. Does this card even support OpenGL? Many of the Matrox cards don't in my experience...

adegnan
2005-01-02, 09:36 PM
I have a Gateway right now with p4- 1.8 ghz and 764 megs of DDR ram. I'm ready to upgrade this quarter and I am thinking about getting an AMD system based on what I've read on several threads from all of you.

What manufacturer/retailer/website do you recommend?

I just noticed in another thread that this article http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=133493&pageID=1&sk=&date= makes a strong argument for the Intel chips at this time.

I'm probably interested in a Matrox dual-head card as well. Either that or upgrade to a 21" flat screen! Realistically, probably keep my dual 19" and go with a dual head card.

Also I want to have RAID mirroring drive. Any recommneded card?

Also does anyone see any problem with using a old P2 350 mhz system as a network server? I'm not real familiar with this stuff, but I would think processor speed would not be real important on a server? I imagine I'd keep my revit files on the local drive, but thinking of keeping my Quickbooks files etc on a network server.

PS. Checking in on the website from my old 350 computer and righ now it is faster browsing RUGI than on my 1.8 system! strange. Plus spell check is not working yet??

Any comments? Thanks!

Kelly@Laebon
2005-01-05, 09:24 PM
I'm looking at getting a new system. Can any Athlon users tell me if the upgrade from a Athlon 64 3500+ to a Athlon 64 FX-55 (upgrade cost $661 CDN) is worth it? How much added performance can I expect?

other specs are ASUS A8V deluxe motherboard, 2 gig ram, nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256, raptor sata 10K HD

edit: I use it mostly for single family residential work