PDA

View Full Version : "Nudging" objects

David Sammons
2004-11-27, 11:46 AM
How can I set the amount an object moves when using the arrow keys to "nudge" the object? There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for how much the objects moves. Sometimes it may move 1/8" and at other time it moves another increment. I thought the snap settings control the amount of movement but that does not seem to be the case.

aggockel50321
2004-11-27, 02:02 PM
I think the snap increment is controlled by the zoom factor of your view.

Try this:

Draw a reference plane & pin it down. Draw a line parallel to it, & run a dimension between the ref plane and line. Highlight the line and nudge it at different zoom factors. The further you're zoomed out, the greater the snap increment. This will help to illustrate how nudge works.

slb
2004-11-27, 03:19 PM
"Nudge distance" is totally dependent on view scale and zoom factor.

Revit will nudge an object three pixels in "screen space". The actually distance three pixels is depends on the scale of the view and how closely you are zoomed in upon it.

LRaiz
2004-11-27, 08:18 PM
Revit implemented an intelligent algorithm that selects actual nudge distance depending on few factors.

On one hand as Steve pointed out some fixed screen distance (about 1 mm) is multiplied by the zoom factor and view scale to evaluate model space distance. However this is not the whole story and Andrew is correct in suspecting that snap increments do play a role. In addition to transforming screen delta to a model space distance, the software examines snap increments, and rounds off the nudge distance to a multiple of a snap increment that Revit considers the most appropriate one depending on zoom and scale.

BTW. Did you know that holding shift key while nudging increases individual nudge jumps 10 times?

FK
2004-11-27, 08:21 PM
If I am not mistaken, the exact distance comes from Settings -> Snaps.

Edit: per Leonid's confirmation, I am not mistaken. ;)