PDA

View Full Version : Linking Architctural and Structural Models

stephanschneller
2010-01-26, 02:28 PM
Hi,

This is our first project where to Architect and us (Structural Engineers) will be using Revit 2010. (hurray!)

The idea is to link their model into ours and vice versus, each of us is going to have their one model file.

Now, I would be grateful if someone has answers to the following problem.

So far we have set up our model (global coordinates (acquired from dwg, true north, project north), the Architect has been working on the model for almost 3 weeks.

Today we received the Arch's model, linked it and realised that they didn't work to the global coordinates, therefore the model doesn't overlay with our ;(

Furthermore their 'true north' sets the model into the 'orthogonal mode' to allow them to draw walls etc orthogonal.

In our model the 'project north' sets the model into the 'orthogonal mode'.

My question is, what would be the best way to align the two models.

I thought if I they go into their model and 'specify coordinates at point' for a know location that this would 'move' the model to the correct location but this didn't seem to work.

Do we need to relocated the whole model?

Regards,

Stephan

sbrown
2010-01-26, 03:31 PM
Yes, you are backwards. In revit you draw "orthagonal" not "true north". then you import the cad site plan, move/rotate it to match your building orientation and then aquire coordinates. This syncs your "true north" with the civil drawings while allowing you to draw in "project north(orthagonal)".

andy.239668
2010-01-26, 04:47 PM
"Project North" and "True North" are seperate. They can be used in your situation to allow the architect to align the views to be able to draw orthagonal walls when they may not line up pretty with the projects "True North" (North's actual direction).

sbrown described the process right, but I would approach the issue with the architect before you get too far into the project. Having the parameters wrong can cause major issues down the line (sun studies for example). Fix it now (from someone who has made that mistake). Revit makes simple tools to rotate project north and true north. Then under each views properties, you can tell it to align the view to project north or true north.