PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Insulation Triangulation

tps.240601
2010-01-27, 07:32 PM
I created a roof with variable insulation and placed a point -3" from the surface (roof drain) Is there a way to control the triangulation that Revit automatically comes up with?

In the attached image you can see the unnecessary lines that I want to eliminate - indicated by arrows. The line in red is the one that I'd like to keep.

Any tips / advice here?

Thanks!

Munkholm
2010-01-28, 09:57 AM
There is a solutions, but it´s not as easy as I thought it would be.

Model the roof, without the "missing corner"
Manually add the wanted splitlines, and adjust the elevation of the "center point"
Create an in-place roof, containen just a void to cut the "missing corner" of the first roof.

Hope that helps :beer:

Munkholm
2010-01-28, 09:59 AM
OR, you could calculate the elevation of the internal point of the "missing corner", should be possible using some trig...

And welcome to the forums BTW. ;-)

tomnewsom
2010-01-28, 09:59 AM
Use a Shaft opening to cut the corner out

patricks
2010-01-28, 03:11 PM
There is a solutions, but it´s not as easy as I thought it would be.

Model the roof, without the "missing corner"
Manually add the wanted splitlines, and adjust the elevation of the "center point"
Create an in-place roof, containen just a void to cut the "missing corner" of the first roof.

Hope that helps :beer:

The way that is drawn would require warped slabs/decks or different slopes on all sides to actually build it.

Revit puts those extra lines in there because that's how it would have to be if all corners are the same elevation.

Calculating the elevation of that one corner would really be the most "correct" way. Another method I have used is to just model the roof deck and/or slab flat, and then use actual tapered insulation families, joined together to create the required slope triangulation lines. See the attached Revit file.