PDA

View Full Version : Resolution of Raster Image

epearce
2010-01-27, 10:50 PM
I have inserted a keyplan as a raster image into my sheets. The original image is 300dpi, but when I look at the properties of the inserted image the dpi is 72 as part of the System Family: Raster Image. Is there any work around so I can print a raster image with a higher DPI?

patricks
2010-01-27, 11:07 PM
I have inserted a keyplan as a raster image into my sheets. The original image is 300dpi, but when I look at the properties of the inserted image the dpi is 72 as part of the System Family: Raster Image. Is there any work around so I can print a raster image with a higher DPI?

Check the dimensions of your original image (pixel count divided by DPI) and then change the image dimensions to that number. It will end up printing at the original 300 DPI.

I know this is the case because I tried converting an image to 72 DPI first, then placing in Revit and scaling down to the proper size, and image quality was much worse.

It is annoying, though. I hate the way Revit just does what it wants to and brings the image in at 72 dpi, as if that were some picture-perfect setting or something. :banghead:

Alex Page
2010-02-16, 07:35 PM
I think I agree with Patrick, but will explain it differently:

Say you are inserting a 300dpi image, 100x100 mm in size, when it comes into Revit, it will be a 72dpi image, 416x416 mm in size - so the image is exactly the same size (same number of pixels)

So - in Revit, scale the image using the scale button and enter in "=72/300" and you get your image at 300dpi, 100x100mm (even thou Revit still reports it at 72dpi)

So in Summary - if you know the dpi of the image coming in to Revit, its easy to match.

On this note, if you import the image into a draughting view, be sure to have the scale of the draughting view already correct, and follow as above. this is how we (when we need to) import images of our Revit model "to scale"

gordolake
2010-02-16, 11:07 PM
Good tip and explanation Alex, maybe submit to tips and tricks. ;)