PDA

View Full Version : Revit Architecture and her Cousins

cwilrycx.109927
2010-02-01, 09:49 PM
Ok folks, please feel free to point me to an earlier posting, but here's my query. We use Revit Architecture, and will have Revit MEP and Revit Structural Engineers doing what they do with our models. Do we notice the changing of our elements to MEP/Structural Elements? more importantly can we have their element over ride ours, so that they do report accurately with energy loads and analysis or is this barred to the specific versions? For example, If a structural engineer replaces my columns with his columns, can I see those columns when he sends the model back to me? Same with MEP and all my wonderful toilets, do they turn into his? Should we architect even be getting into the business of trying to have this ALL IN ONE resolution?

cliff collins
2010-02-02, 03:13 PM
Best practice is to use Linked Revit models for collaboration of RAC, RMEP and RS.

Yes--you will "see" the Struct. Columns/beams--but it will be a linked file.
Same with MEP elements such as plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, etc. which indeed
can be "replaced" by the MEP engineer. Place your content on worksets in the Arch.
model which can be turned off/on as required.

Use Copy/Monitor for grids, etc.

There are lots of posts on this forum about this subject.

cheers...........

patricks
2010-02-02, 06:37 PM
Computer and network technology unfortunately isn't "there yet" to be able to have ALL disciplines working out of one model, even if everyone is in the same office. While I do hope we get there one day, it's just not happening yet. The model would just get way too large and clunky.

So for now it's best to let each discipline have their own model and use links as was mentioned.