PDA

View Full Version : Named Locations assigned to building file

mmiles
2010-02-02, 02:13 PM
I am trying to understand how to use named locations to define various positions of one builidng on a site. I have created two locations and I need to assign each of those to the one building project file I have linked into the topo project file. What I want is to use one location to define the "original" location, and use the other to show the (house) in a new, proposed location. (hint: also looking for ways to maintain, or keep track of changes).

I copy/pasted the linked file and assigned locations to each copy. But, now I do not know how to get only one to display. Do I have to create design options, or a copy of the view with graphic overrides for each? I was hoping that setting one location or the other as "current" would do the trick.

thanks.

cliff collins
2010-02-02, 03:07 PM
Perhaps this might help?

http://designreform.net/2009/09/revit-2010-%e2%80%93-publishing-shared-coordinates-named-views-across-linked-files/

cheers

mmiles
2010-02-02, 10:43 PM
I have seen this video, and it is helpful, although it doesn;'t really pertain to my situation where i want to show different locations for one house - options, if you will. I have surmised that I need to make copies of the linked file, and establish named locations for each. I have at this point created a design option called "house location" so that I can display and print each one.

I was hoping the locations tools - set current - would be how I controlled the visibility of the house, but unless I am doing something wrong, that is not how to do that. I am waiting for confirmation from someone that I am headed in the right direction, or not.

thanks.

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-03, 04:19 AM
The limitation of these named locations is that a project can only show ONE at a TIME. If you tell Revit to show location 2 instead of location 1 then all views will update. This means that you need to print documents showing location 1 and then reset the named location and print again showing location 2.

It would be handy if a view was able to show a named location like it can alternatively show true or project north. It remains a wish...and I'm not sure how often it has been shared with Autodesk. Not all that many people really dig into the feature that deeply in the first place.

mmiles
2010-02-03, 03:02 PM
Steve, thanks, I think I understand.

A problem I am having involves the step to "show only one at a time".

Here is what I have:

one site with builidng linked into it
shared coordinates published
two named locations and two copies of the linked building, each saved to a location.
One location, Position A, has been made current. Both buildings appear in plan(s).
So, I cannot get only one to show. Except that I created design options, which I thought of as a work-around. The question is what have I missed, or not done properly?

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-03, 05:02 PM
In the building file you use Manage Place and Locations to tell the building project file to show the location you want to use.

Gadget Man
2010-02-04, 03:19 AM
... What I want is to use one location to define the "original" location, and use the other to show the (house) in a new, proposed location. (hint: also looking for ways to maintain, or keep track of changes)...

Wouldn't you want to use phasing for this?

Phase: "existing house position" and phase: "proposed house position"...
Than each instance of the linked file would have its own phase set...

Just a thought...

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-04, 03:50 AM
Jerry's comments have prompted me to back up...

Where do you hope to do this documentation of the different building locations? If you are using the site file then Design Options ought to work. Phasing probably won't work on the links or at least my five minute attempt didn't.

If you want to have a set of documents in the building file but show the two different locations you'll have to switch them prior to plot as I suggest.

Gadget Man
2010-02-04, 05:34 AM
Well, I just created a trial file (Site Plan) and linked to it a trial building.

Then I coppied this linked building into the new location on the same Site Plan.

I named the first link instance "Original" and the second "Proposed".

I recorded shared coordinates to both instances of the linked building (each separately of course), naming location of the first "original location" and the second "proposed location".

It gave me two entries in the Revit Links tab in the Visibility Graphics dialog. (see the picture below)

I created two views in my SITE PLAN file, named: Original position and New Position. In each view, in the Visibility Graphics Overrides I turned on a relevant Revit link, leaving the other one off.

Now it's a simply matter of clicking between these two views to see/print/use the one I want.

I can't see it being any simpler than that...

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-04, 06:25 AM
Easy if doing it in the site model...I think he was after doing it in the building project file. The named locations can only be set one at a time. Guess we'll have to see which he was wanting...