PDA

View Full Version : Managing Sections and Call-outs

dominicsy
2010-02-05, 01:16 AM
Hi all,

Our project is going from Schem Design to Design Development. We did our SD drawings in 1:200 and now want to set up 1:100 drawings. We duplicated our plans, sections and elevations with detailing to get our 1:100 drawings. We want to preserve the 200 set for design discussion and move forward with our 1:100 for Construc. Drawings.

Problem is, we want some new sections and call-outs in the 1:100 views to not show up in 1:200 and vice versa, but deleting a section marker in our 1:100 plan automatically deletes the same section marker in 1:200. Putting a new section marker in 1:100 puts it in the 200 view, which we don't want. Other than hiding them individually, is there a way I can 'group' my section markers so they disappear from some views but not others?

I thought that annotations only existed in the views they were created in, am I wrong? Or are section markers and call-outs not considered annotation items?

Thanks.

tcupp
2010-02-05, 02:14 AM
I am not at a computer with revit so I can't test but...could you make all of your new sections building sections rather than wall sections and set the view props for the new view to hide the wall sections.

oliver.p
2010-02-05, 11:35 AM
The easiest way of doing this is the following:
- create the section
- go to the view properties of the new section
- set the Graphics > Hide at scales coarser that - setting to 1:100.

This will prevent the section to show up in any drawing that is at a scale larger than 1:100. So your 1:200 drawings should be safe.

Just a point, though. You do realize that once you start changing walls, windows, etc in your 1:100s, they will also change in your 1:200s, right?

dominicsy
2010-02-05, 04:30 PM
The easiest way of doing this is the following:
- create the section
- go to the view properties of the new section
- set the Graphics > Hide at scales coarser that - setting to 1:100.

This will prevent the section to show up in any drawing that is at a scale larger than 1:100. So your 1:200 drawings should be safe.

Just a point, though. You do realize that once you start changing walls, windows, etc in your 1:100s, they will also change in your 1:200s, right?

Yes I know about walls moving and that stuff. I'm admittedly a Revit newb, it's actually my first Revit project, but I thought annotation symbols only resided in the views they were created in and wouldn't show up in a different view. Anyway, thanks for the help...

cliff collins
2010-02-05, 06:43 PM
You can also use Filters to control visibility of annotations.
Then use View Templates to control all of your various typical View Types,
using Filters in the View Templates.

The "hide at scales coarser than...." is also a good idea.

cheers.......

edit: should have said "section marks" not "annotations"

t1.shep
2010-02-05, 09:07 PM
View callouts are not considered annotations. I guess it helps that they placed these under the "view" ribbon. Therefore, they will show in all views that intersect the respective view. Annotations are things like tags, notes, dimensions, etc. They only show in the view they are placed.
In addition to the "hide at scales..." option, there is also the option of "show only in the parent view" This will force the view tag to only show in the view in which it is placed. Uncheck that it will show in other views.
Another approach is to just make a pdf or dwf of your schematic set for reference and proceed however you want. You could also just save your schematic Revit file, and then copy a new file as a DD file. Unless you're going to print the views at the 1:200 scale again in your new DD set, I'm not sure why you need to have both in one Revit file?
As far as filters go, you can create a new project parameter and assign it to the views category. You can then group select the sections that you want and assign the parameter you created to the views. Create a new filter, and filter for the new parameter that you just assigned to the section views. You'll then need to assign that filter to the views you want to hide those sections in. you can create a view template that contains you filter as well and you can set that for multiple views.

dan302720
2010-02-05, 09:53 PM
Its always good practice to create a new project when switching between Skematic, Design Development, and Construction Documents. To have an archive of the project at specific intervals really helps if you ever need to backtrack. I often have several options in each design phase; all separate projects. Other than that, using view templates is an easy way to control visibility of specific plans and sections of varying scale, hiding at courser than scale works well also.

dominicsy
2010-02-06, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys

martijnderiet
2010-02-06, 07:25 PM
View markups show because they are not annotations. They simply outline a view, and therefore are visible in all views possible (what would be the point of having them if they weren't?)
I usually recommend creating seperate projects for various stages in design. Unfortunately Revit isn't capable of freezing drawings/views so if you change something in the construction documents, your SD won't be accurate anymore. You have no way of tracing back your steps.
Another possibility, if you do want to stay in one projectfile, is using Phasing. View markups are Phase-specific. If you create a Phase SD and a Phase CD the annotations from one Phase won't show in the other. Also, at least a part of your changes after the SD remains only in the CD.

cwride
2011-04-07, 08:50 PM
Where is the "Show In" parameter located. Revit "Help" indicates that it is in the "View Properties" but I can't seem to find it. Screen shot, anyone?

Ning Zhou
2011-04-08, 03:30 PM
it's only appear in detail callout view.

hworrell
2011-09-16, 08:23 PM
"In addition to the "hide at scales..." option, there is also the option of "show only in the parent view" This will force the view tag to only show in the view in which it is placed. Uncheck that it will show in other views."

Where is the "Show only in Parent view"?

O...didn't see the post about it only being for detail views.

Alex Page
2011-09-19, 12:27 AM
I always recommend having different elevation and section markers etc for the different stages (as previously mentioned), then you can filter them and have that filter in your view templates

So you could have a section Marker caleld "Developed Design" etc etc