PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Openings in Walls

ParagonChris
2010-02-05, 01:27 PM
I work for a structural engineering firm. We use a void family to cut openings in walls to match architectural windows and doors. The family allows us to align the edge of openings to the architectural model. Most of the time we can align the edges individually to match. Sometimes it moves the entire opening to match one side when aligned. Does anyone know why this happens random. We would like to adjust each side individually. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tomnewsom
2010-02-05, 02:53 PM
One of the reference planes that define the sides of the opening is set to "defines origin"

In the void family, the ideal setup should be 3 ref planes: Left, Origin and Right, with EQ constraints to keep things centered. Then you can align the sides without the whole family moving around, and you can snap to the centerline (useful)

ParagonChris
2010-02-05, 03:33 PM
I have the center as defines origin and the others set to weak reference. I am attaching my family if anyone is interested in looking at it to help me solve the problem. Thanks.

ParagonChris
2010-02-09, 01:27 PM
Does anyone have a solution or method to help me fix this. Thanks for any help.

Alex Page
2010-02-10, 08:04 PM
Your (non changed) Family In Project: when you select the edge of your family (to align to something else) hit tab once and youll notice that you are now selecting the "Shape Handle" (it tells you down the bottom left corner) - this then works as you require

Attached (changed) Family: got rid of some of your locking stuff - not required
Changed your left and right references from "Weak Ref" to Left and Right References
(This now works within your project without tabbing). Also changed the 'Anchor" point within your family to be on the centre reference - refer attahed image (now you can pull-push it to test within the family - good practise)