PDA

View Full Version : Cut Profile_Colums

zanzibarbob7
2010-02-06, 03:12 AM
Everytime I try to cut profile on a column in a section or callout I get an error saying that the lines aren't on the face being cut. Everything works fine with the same proceedure with walls and Revit says columns are cuttable. What am I mssing? It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the column is architectural or structural, it's just being truculent.

Norton_cad
2010-02-06, 05:51 AM
It sounds as if you need to use/set a work plane....

zanzibarbob7
2010-02-06, 11:55 AM
I don't think that is the issue. Refer to picture. I put a wall and column in the same section, both are cut and this is the difference. I have selected Edit Face in both cases but the column won't work for me. I also think that your work plane is the Section in this case and can't be further defined.

Norton_cad
2010-02-06, 03:13 PM
Forget the section. Go to your plan view, and add a workplane. Then got to that view. You will find that you can edit your column.
Views have limitations that workplanes don't (I think)....

zanzibarbob7
2010-02-06, 04:44 PM
Mark, I'm not getting it to work as you describe. I set and named a work plane in plan view but you cannot edit profile in an elevation and I really only want a callout to show a change in the column. You have access to the edit profiles from Section and Callout but not from Elevation or a 3D reoriented to another view.

It could be that since you guys are all upside down in Australia, it will work for you. I will try standing on my head just to check. If you can go through what I posted and give me a yah or nay I would appreciate it. Otherwise I am stumped. Wall good, columns bad!

dlpdi5b
2010-02-06, 07:21 PM
The Edit Cut Profile tool is only making a 2d modification in that particular view. I just tried to reproduce your situation and was able to change the cut profile of a column, no problem. Maybe upload a small piece of your project with an example wall and column and we can see what the problem is.

Below: showing after cut profile has been applied to the view; column showing profile sketch; showing the same column cut by a different nearby section does not show the cut profile change, because that change is 2d and view specific.

zanzibarbob7
2010-02-06, 08:59 PM
Here is the file. No mater what I do with the section or callout I get the error. As I said before, if I have a wqall in the same callout or section it works fine.

dlpdi5b
2010-02-07, 01:20 AM
Here is the file. No mater what I do with the section or callout I get the error. As I said before, if I have a wqall in the same callout or section it works fine.

Okay, I understand your question now; the cut profile works fine if the column is attached to a wall like a pilaster, but it doesn't work if the column is freestanding and there is no floor or ceiling in the section.

The cut profile does work fine if there is a floor or a ceiling in the section view.

Kind of wierd, once I added a ceiling, the cut profile tool worked. Even after deleting the wall and ceiling, the columns were still editable with the cut profile tool. But they weren't editable originally in your .rvt. Anyway, try adding a ceiling or floor to your columns, then try your cut profile tool. I bet you can then delete that ceiling and still have the cut profile tool work on the columns

zanzibarbob7
2010-02-07, 02:42 AM
You are right and Thanks. It didn't work as I thought it would but if I place the column in plan then place a wall into it, then deleted the wall. I can do a section and edit the profile. The wall wraps like a pilaster, like you said. At least I know the work around. I thought I was going crazy. Thanks again. Maybe I am goind crazy. It's Saturday night and I'm still working. Whadaygonnado?