PDA

View Full Version : What Viz Setting Am I Missing - I'm Stumpped

stuntmonkee
2010-02-08, 04:06 PM
This is all based around a family that is modeled from 3 twisting tubes and wrapped in fabric. We need to be able to see it cut from any location, so this is not solved with symbolic lines. We need to see the actual family.

ok, so after I inserted and placed the family I noticed that there was an issue with how it looked in plan. Instead of being able to see beyond, it was cutting the object at a single plane. Not a view range set to only show 1" of space, a single plane.

So I messed with it and couldnt find it.

So I coppied the view, and then reset the view template to default, and bam, perfect! The image on the left is what I want to see, the image on the right is how it is in our project.

I can't reset all the views, I have to be able to figure out what button I'm missing.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stunts

sbrown
2010-02-08, 04:29 PM
Look at the "depth clipping" settings of the view.

stuntmonkee
2010-02-08, 04:31 PM
Got that one already, both are checked to "No Clip"

cliff collins
2010-02-08, 04:39 PM
Is the family perhaps a nested one, which either has Shared parameters checked,
or perhaps needs it be be checked so that the nested portions of the family then react
properly to Levels / height awareness?

cheers......

stuntmonkee
2010-02-08, 04:47 PM
Is the family perhaps a nested one, which either has Shared parameters checked,
or perhaps needs it be be checked so that the nested portions of the family then react
properly to Levels / height awareness?

cheers......

Nope, I ran through all the family based issues. Since this project is in 2009, and it was much easier to create this shape in 2010, the family only consists of an imported SAT file and then brought into a 2009 family.

For a bit I thought it was a family issue, but after I tested it in a new project, and also duplicated the view and reset it, I'm not sure how it could be a family viz setting.

I've checked all the view ranges, and clipping. Check all the boxes under the catagory, done it all. Typically finding these issues is my forte, but this is killen me.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the file directly up so others can see it, but since I'm 99% sure it's view based, and the file is nearly 200mb, I'm not sure I can do that either, lol.

sbrown
2010-02-08, 06:29 PM
I think I know!!! I hope this is it. I've found that floor plan callout views set to "Detail" display differently than "true" floor plan views. Can you pick on the crop region of your view and see if one says its a "floor plan" and the other says its a "detail".

stuntmonkee
2010-02-08, 06:46 PM
Yeah, thought about that too. I double checked, but they both say floor plan.

When I created the 2nd view, I used "duplicate view". SO the 2 views started out exactly the same, and then I used the "Architectural Plan" view template to reset the one that now shows correctly.

lol, I'm tellin you, I'm going mad trying to figure this one out.

The only thing I could do is to post the family and see if someone can make a plan view show "wrong". . . .because I wouldnt even be able to do that!

Dang-Nabit!

stuntmonkee
2010-02-10, 06:29 PM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

As I thought, it was one simple check box, and I feel a bit dumb for not finding it sooner.

In the graphic overrides, there an "Imported Categories" tab, under that tab there is an "Imports in Families" check box that was turned off.

This tab is used to control CAD info, or the SAT file that is inserted into my family file. SO with that turned off it was somehow showing the correct plan information being cut, but was NOT showing any information beyond.

Seems like a strange way to respond.

1) I would have assumed that a tab like this would be located under the appropriate model category

2) It doesn't make since that it still shows cut in plan, but doesn't show the faces beyond.

Thanks for the help, I hope this saves someone in the future.

Stunts

Scott D Davis
2010-02-10, 11:11 PM
I was going to reply that you are 'stumpedmonkee' but you found your answer before i could post. :lol:

stuntmonkee
2010-02-10, 11:45 PM
I was going to reply that you are 'stumpedmonkee' but you found your answer before i could post. :lol:

hehe, did you know the answer before you got to the bottom?

That was one driving me nuts few several days. . . .lol. Especially since I knew it was simple.